Monday, April 22, 2013

X-ZACT Training Session XXII - 40713 - 42013


SESSION XXII – Starts today


40713 (Sunday #289) AM – work [Summary]

Starting a new session gives me the opportunity to reset, reframe and/or reassert my goals and my strategies. The last two sessions have been complicated due to what we shall euphemistically term a “medical event” it’s all documented in previous sessions so no need to go into it again. 

This session will probably find me returning to the outdoors and possibly even running through the woods again. The all too familiar cycle of cutting the cardio and lifting heavy to bulk up during the cold seasons is making feel conflicted again. When it comes time to start the run/jog I wish I had never stopped, yet I stop every year. 

Okay; so let me restate or possibly even refresh my goals: In three more I’ll be retiring from this gig. I want to be the same weight when I leave that I was when I arrived (170 – 175). Of course I don’t want to wait three years to achieve this. I want my weight to be well established, my health to be immaculate and my body to be ripped, tight, strong and agile. I also want high endurance, nothing like iron man, but pretty close. 

Now, what kind of training will I need to do to accomplish this? And, what kind of eating will I have to do? I have already begun cutting down on the meat and increasing the vegetables beginning back when I started eating salads over night (most had chicken or turkey in them.) I have since started making my own salads, sans meat; and have been getting more greens via smoothies, pretty much daily, with protein and fruit mixed in. I may actually be somewhere close to 50% raw already counting shakes, salads and the fruits, nuts & seeds I eat. I may have to measure this one day. 

New way of lifting. Pick a weight and stick with it. First increase reps, then increase weight, advises Joe Cannon. This will be a test of my discipline. Three  examples, squats, bench presses and leg extensions; 225, 135, 195 respectively going for single sets of 30 reps. (at one time I could do 20 bench reps at 135, but these days I am just about getting 10.) 

I should also have my joints checked out, especially my knees. I need a doctor who’s not going to dismiss these aches as “getting old.” I need someone who understands that I am a fitness enthusiast and I’m pushing the (at least ‘my’) limits. I want my connective tissue to grow strong along with my muscles. 

I should also get back to acupuncture sessions. This should be easy to do, even starting this week because I have two weekdays off. I can probably go Thursday. Let’s see if this happens. I should refer back to these goals and challenges periodically. 

Today’s AM Lineup:
Water Bottle squats: 20 – 20 – 20 – 20 = 80
Chin ups: 6 – 8 – 10 – 10 = 34
Pushups (suspended, legs elevated) – 17 – 17 – 13 – 10 = 57
Dips (suspended) 15 – 11 –  12 – 10 = 48

First round was hard. Right triceps/shoulder area sore and weak after dips. Very close to 20 pushups yes!!!! Second round, wrapped elbow. Surprised myself on the chin ups, burnt on the pushups, sore on the dips. I should do more stabilized dips at the Y. (Took recovery BCAA & Brewer’s yeast 2 each after round two. I may do another round or two before the end of the shift.) Third round – winded. Medium to low hang chin ups in round 3. Last dose of BCAA & BY. Salad between round 3 & 4. Lots of H2O. 
Making progress. Pleased, but right arm hurts, ugh!! 

Wake 189.5 – gained!!

Stretch, work around the house – twists and such. Bands night & maybe some dumbbells n pushup bars. Thinking I can get to the Y or play outside tomorrow.

40813 (Monday #290) AM – work
Band night, blue & green reps!!!

Deep squat lat pulls: 22 – 30 – 30* (add yellow band)
Triceps extensions (overhead) 12 – 16 – 10*
Standing Shoulder press (box) 16 – 16 – 12
Triceps curls (Tandem) 12 – 10 – 8*
Forearm pull (slow) 10 – 10 – 10*
Last round – deep squats & random band work.

Wake 188 – drop two

First Day in the park –
10 mins run/walk thru grass/field… really lame.
Jacks & shadow boxing 3 rounds
Bench jump (up & down) + squats  3 sets of about 8 (This is kickin’ my ass!!)
45 degree squat (on ropes) 20 – 25 each & various chest work, about < 45 degree angle
Rolls (but not all the way up, not the first set anyway). They started to come in sets 2 & 3, pretty awkward but still rolled up.
Squat-mt. climber- pushup combo, roll then reverse. 3 rounds 6 reps each. (Rough)
Ab work, trx type pikes – got 3 good ones.
Stretch, yoga style down dog & cobra, walk backwards up the hill.
Calorie breakdown (experiment)
1120 cals burned during training hour
2122 @ 2 hr mark. (1002 burned first hr after exercise) 1061 cph ave.
2652 @ 2.5 hr mark
2810 @ 3 hr mark. (688 cals burned in 2nd hr.) 933 cph ave.
2990 @ 4 hr mark (180 cals burned in 3rd hr.) big drop, 748 cph ave.

Recovery BCAA & Brewers Yeast.
Pre-workout – Mass gainer veggie shake, workout stack. May have to mix arginine & beta-alanine. Next park op is probably Friday.

I can still train at the gig tonight.
Iced (lf) knee afterwards. Gave me trouble during the first part of the run, but settled after. Opted out of taking a pic although I still think I should have. Oh well. 

40913 (Tuesday #291) AM – work
Make my body do new shit!! 

Low hang pull ups 3 – 5 – 3 of course legs have to stay in L to keep from hitting the floor.
Assisted pistols, legs tightening on this one. 5 ea – 6.
Uneven pushups p/u bar & dumbbell 5 ea then 8.

Train the nervous system and the body will follow. 

Heat rub right shoulder/triceps. 
Hard holding opposite leg out, semi-straight.

Wake 188.5 – drank breakfast, protein, creatine, strawberries, blueberries, ½ banana, chia seed, spinach, kale, coconut water, aloe juice, ginger shot ½, carrot extract shot.

Looks like a breakfast that will take me thru class. Calorie exp. In progress. First hr. preworkout, 3 bogeys shot down before leaving the house. Stomach feels empty… rely on the fat. Be strong for class.

Good GX – came strong w/o big meal. Low calorie burn.  4 hrs 1326 total. Didn’t get the high intensity burn today. Bands tonight.

41013 (Wednesday #292)  AM – work. Band night.

Deep squat pulls – 19 (cramp in left inside thigh, legs have been getting punished this week) This is not going to work.

Straight arm pull  20 -10 – (rev) 5
Shoulder push – 20 – 16
Forearms – 10 -12
Triceps ex. 12 – 12
Box press – 10 – 10
Pushups – 5 ea. – 6 (push up bar & table support) left side seems stronger.
Not so deep squat pull, 20 duh!! 20 more. Decent amount of work – kept me active through the night.

Wake 189.5  - - -  3 bogeys, no change. Drank breakfast, added a scoop of oatmeal. Aqua today and squats 87 degrees – just to note.

Good GX – squats 32 in 4 sets, do more in less sets. Maybe see how many squats I can do in 4 sets and not limit myself to 30-something.

41113 (Thursday #293) – wake 188. Extra fast last night. Last night working on bridges. Do bridges instead of crunches. Work it!! Reminder – pistol chair squats, working them 5 eac. + 5

I have to be as strong as I can be for the rest of my life.

Strong GX-YMCA session. Even more participation (from me).  10 ea. Ball pushups – random body work all day.

41213 (Friday #294) – wake 189 – sleep experiment – 576 cals in 8 hours sleeping. 72 cals per hr. (72 x 24 = 1728). This is pretty close to the rule of thumb that estimates a person will burn 10 calories per pound of body weight per day when they are in a coma. In my case 1890, so I’m just 162 calories off that mark.

Chair pistols – legs are tired. When down and back up doesn’t work, I just press up off the chair.
Lift Therapy at the Y today!!

Lift therapy complete!!
Round I: Leg press 400-ish  (8 plates) 35 reps in 3 sets + calf presses + shin flex (90 lbs) + bent calf presses. 3 sets.

Round II: bent row (135) 10-12-12 + step ups (10 – 16 – 20) + shin flex (90).  3 sets.

Round III: bench press (135) 10 – 12 – 10 + wrist curls 35 lbs. 3 sets: these bug my (rt) shoulder. So I’m keeping the weight light and not breaking the chest plane. Shoulder feels a bit better with reps.

Leg Therapy
Extensions – 195 lbs  6 – 8 – 10 (keep wt constant a increase reps )
Curls 165 lbs 6 – 8 – 8

Stretch & out. Wiped out but happy with the progress.

Note; LT replaced the park due to rain and 45 degrees.

Home work – twists, inverted squats, downward dog pushups, leg stack, just trying to get more flexible.

Workout stack: arginine: carnitine: HgW: yohimbe: guarana: CoQ10: D3: E: B12

41313 (Saturday #295) AM – work

Looking over the progress I’ve made over the past week. Better squats, better leg presses & bench presses. Nothing wrong with moving slowly. I guess it’s more maturing. I still have lofty goals – or inner visions of pushing my limits and becoming stronger, but I also want the agility and balance and flexibility – I want this weight 13 – 15 lbs. off of me so I can move my body more efficiently..

Tonight’s line up:
Waterbottle squats: 20 – 20 -  (suitcase style)
Suspension pushups; 13 – 14 – 10
Chin ups: 10 – 10
Dips: 12 – (kills rt. Shoulder) 10
WB shrugs: 20 – 20

One arm wall push-outs (practice sets)
Table pistols (practice)
Dips – although I dread them, I may have to do a few sets. Need to better stabilize my core. Need to center on nervous system training… the root of the body. If I can imagine this I think I can become better.

Wake 189 – drank breakfast, walk to 69 for groceries.
Chair pistols, up only arms folded, getting better balance. Wondering when I’ll restart insanity sessions.
BW home training this eve. Maybe some balance work, stretch & twists. Bands @ the gig. Hmm, spent home time in the kitchen… end of this week; will begin next week at midnight with the bands.

Ciao,

41413 (Sunday #296) – AM – work ::: Band Day

Deep squat pulls: 25 – 30
Chest Push: 20 – 20
Straight arm pull down: 12 – 10
(Already feeling stronger)
Triceps Ex: 12 – 10
Forearm pull – 12 – 10
(Ready for the orange band, more reps.)  Misc stuff.
One arm wall push outs. Pistol push – chair table.

Wake 188.5 – random stuff; pushups, chair pistols,

41513 (Monday #297) AM – work: EZ night – hard stuff…

Low bar pull ups (L) – 5 – 5- 6
Rev pushups elevated – 5 – 8 – 10
Water bottle press – 12 – 10

Wake 188.5 – 2 bogeys

Park Work: run ten minutes thru grass – a bit stronger but still slow, full pack, wts, boots.
Calisthenics 10 mins. Jax, shuffle, shadow box (should’ve kicked)
Up & down on bench
Side jump over bench, run fwd & backwards.
Leg work 3 – rounds
Air Squats: 30 – 40 – 50!!
45 degree rope squats (push)– 16 – 20 reps tough to hold.
Deep rope squats – 10 – 16 reps each.
Pistols (sort of0 off the bench, up & down alt legs. 8 – 10 total, good control.  – Good stuff.
Yoga stretch – boots off 10 mins in the grass. Open legs/hips, stretch, twist. Backwards walk up hill.
Calorie Burn info;
Max HR 161
Cool down HR 111
One hr. 1016
2 hrs. 1662 (808ph)
4:15; 2908
4:50 – 3035 average 627 per hour. A little less than last week. Could be lower RHR??
NO Xplode & pre-work stack.

41613 (Tuesday #298) AM – work
Not really aspiring to this. I don't think my body could pull it off with-
out drugs, but it's good to illustrate muscularity. I found that gaining
weight, even mostly muscle wasn't that good of an idea. I think my
knee started reacting to the extra weight. It was 15 lbs in about 7 or 8
months. Now that I'm "trying" to lose, I find myself becoming better
defined.

Lite band work, upper back & biceps – red & green bands
Hi pull back – 12 – 12 – 10 – 10
Standing biceps curls – 10 – 10 – 10 – 10
Bent flies (10 lb dumbbells0 12 – 12* (maybe more)

Legs are sore from the park. Got to be strong for Gx-TU today11
No more hoodia – don’t think it did any good.

Wake 188 – TU-GX today. Ate breakfast for a change.

41713 (Wednesday #299) – AM – work, relaxed.
Some upper-inner thigh (near) cramp, honey fixed it (& stretching) legs have been hammered this week, but make them stronger. 

Wake 188.5 21.5 54 (2): chore, did a few chair pistols, legs are sore, esp bottom back near ankles.
Post aqua squats 40 (4 x 10) beasties!!!!
Casein shake before bed.

41813 (Thursday #300) wake 188.5 – Night off no drop. This could be the new norm. still thinking 175, but in light of new info this weight may not be the best for me.

#1 – I’m maintaining weight, eating better and getting more defined. 
#2 – one statistic showed people with BMIs between 25 – 30 do as well or better health-wise than those under 25 BMI. 175 = 24.4 BMI 188 = 26.2 BMI
#3 – Ethnicity works in my favor. Some groups fare better at higher body weights & BMIs (slightly higher). 
#4 – Age, as I get “older” I should be packing on more pounds (muscle) to hedge against age-related muscle loss and maintain high (as possible) metabolism. 

Seems I’m moving into the more scientific realms of fitness, nutrition & health.

Dropped 6 lbs. since starting this book 12-12-12. 

Ate out, chicken sandwich – couldn’t eat the salad. Call it a cheat day.  Lift Therapy tomorrow – but I think I can do some home stuff tonight, upper body, no legs, they need a break. I mean rest…

Kind of sluggish when I got in, went to bed early. No home work… 

41913 (Friday #301)  wake 188.5 8 hrs sleep. Pretty good. Wake stack. Shake – no veggies – maybe a supplement. Not burnt out (on veggies) I don’t think. Lift therapy after lunch. This session ends tomorrow.
The fluctuations aren't as dramatic as they seems. There are
2/10 of a pound between each line. I'm pretty sure the weight is a
combination of fat burn, water drop and muscle build.

Lift Therapy successful – feel good, worked but not worked over. Ate Vietnamese #39 pre-workout.

Round I:
Leg press 360 – 400 lbs. (45 reps in 4 sets) + calf presses + calf raises (no wt.)

Round II: T-bar row (70 lbs) 12 – 12 – 10 + shin flex…

Round III: bench press (135) – 12 – 13 – 10, wrist curls 25 lbs.

Leg extensions 195 – reps.
Leg curls 165 reps
Asst pistols – bridges – stretches – cross leg squats/balance 1:15 mins
Slice of Pizza after, protein + recovery shake after.

42013 (Saturday #302) AM – work –

I may have burnt out on vegetables. They don’t appeal to me at the moment, but there are still lots in my fridge. 

Maybe jump rope tonight or just relax. Last day of Session XXII, maybe 3 or 4 sessions left. One will be short or extra long, they don’t work out evenly. Stop date is June 18 and that may be in the middle of the week. Anyway, I’ll have the opportunity to review the last year. 

I think the smartest thing I’ve done on my entire fitness journey aside from losing the first 25 lbs, is start muscling up my legs. Got a compliment from Frank on them today. (He once referred to them as pink flamingo legs. And I thought “chicken legs” was bad.) 

I don’t want to become obsessed with sarcopenia, but I do want to keep my fast twitchers (muscle fibers) alive and thriving as long as possible, like another 100 years – for real! Not sure whether I’m at the age when I should be trying to lose weight. “They” say we start losing body mass as we age, maybe as early as 40 (which is also when sarcopenia seems to come about), so I need to keep my major muscles as strong, big & condensed as possible. 

I’m noticing unprecedented definition on my torso so (again) maybe 175 is not a beneficial goal. 

Injury (or pain) report:  have to check back to when the ankles started bothering me. I think it was a strong Y-GX session where I did a lot of jumping. They’re still wakable, runable and jumpable. I haven’t wrapped or iced them yet. I should be more pre-emptive. 

Looks like it’s going to be a festive weekend. Been dining out since Thursday and got 2 parties later today. Discipline within reason.

Tonight’s casual line up; toy soldiers w/ ankle weights, db (10s) shoulder presses and flies and front raises, 1 arm push-offs (the wall). This will continue on and off throughout the shift.

Wake 189 – Got some bending and stretching done, esp legs. Got to push and stretch hammies. Chair pistols are still tough! Keep at it. Parties tonight, eat, drink, merriment.

No comments:

Post a Comment