Monday, May 6, 2013

X-ZACT Training session XXIII: 42113 - 50413


Session XXIII starts today!! I’m in the final 60-some days of X-ZACT and it seems that the first part of 2013 has been wrought with attempted illnesses, injuries and various incidents that have attempted to hold me back and challenge my goals. Despite these non-setbacks it seems I’ve made noticeable gains in size, muscularity, definition and a different kind of strength. My body, however seems to miss running. I can’t remember the last time I ran more than five miles, or even three. As the weather gets warmer I’ll start running the woods again. My buddy wants to do a series of mud runs, so I need to get my butt and mostly my joints in gear for those – just in case they actually happen. There are a few days of travel scheduled in this session which could either result in a break/rest or an opportunity for me to do some body weight “guerrilla” training when and where ever I can. Might be a good time to put a little Tabata in my routine. But who knows. It’s a good thing these introductions are not promises because I’d likely break every one. I go day-by-day. I heard a good quote that goes “Never go to bed today without knowing how you’re going to exercise tomorrow.” The practice exists in the back of my mind; the quote is there just in case I forget. 

For the past four (? Maybe 3) weeks my routine has been such – Monday, Park workouts: Tuesdays GX & Aqua Classes (teaching): Wednesday aqua & Squats: Thursday Y-GX: Friday Lift therapy Saturdays Random usually home work: Sunday – random. Plus Back room training at the gig. So I’ve been pretty consistent. OK let’s get #23 started.

42113 (Sunday #303) – wake 192.5 Party, nothing else to say.

Session XXIII starts on a high note… high weight, but I was celebrating so let’s see how long it will take this to level out and see if it will trigger a great fall.

Massage Day – Feedback: Shoulders got bigger (more muscular). Ice right back (trapz/shoulder – done). Scar tissue build up at rt shoulder/triceps area. No training tonight, but I can still work legs & core. Rt forearm was kind of tight but not as bad as last time. Wonder if I’ll go back to acupuncture. Hello again 23. 

I can still run through the park, squat, jump, kick & role up – taking the workout stack daily, protein shake + recovery before work. Back to salads tonight and fruit+veggie shakes. 

42213 (Monday #304)
Tonight’s casual Lineup: deep assisted squats (maybe try some unassisted), uneven (1 leg elevated) lunge-squats, toy soldiers and walking with the weights on my ankles… like I say, casual. I may not even record reps. (And updated the journal.)

Wake 195  31.5 – 49%  3 gone!! Didn’t take a lot of wake up notes, so let’s see what I can remember. Drank breakfast and the wake stack, then the pre-workout stack and off to the park.

Park work 3 (from the phone);
Conditions 47, sunny, breezy. Pre-work stack, NO Xplode during, protein & recovery after.
I think I may have had too much protein today.
Run/jog thru woods, then across field… 12 minutes
Calisthenics – cross legged side run bk & forth.
Run fwd & back.
Jacks
Fwd & back base run/sprint 3 x 2 (fwd & bk = 1 rep)
Side bench jumps 8 – 12
Turn 180 degree side bench jump (must video this at some point) – new move 6 – 8
Jumping front kicks (march style)
Cross leg side run, bases (on diamond from home to 3rd) 2 x 2
Rope 45 degree squats 20 – 30 – 31 (had to get more than 30 last set)
Bench 1 legged lunge squats 2 x 12 each leg
Surf interval (just 1 pants ripped)

PISTOLS –
Off the low bench no count, two rounds, getting more control
High rope – 8 ea. (Maybe do more high before lowering, maybe 2 rounds each.)
Low rope – 4 ea. Got cocky and made it harder second round.
Stretch time 10 mins stretching/yoga barefoot in the grass – nature.
Backwards walk up hill.
Max HR 168!!!

This was pretty good. Legs feel really good. Give me more!!

Calorie burn data:
1114 first hour
2243 @ 2 hr mark
2570 @ 3 hr mark
2886 2 4 hr mark = 721.5 cph, slightly better than last week.
Salmon & veggies before work.

42313 (Tuesday #305)  -  AM – work: feeling very energized. Wonder if I should chill or do upper body? Probably should give the arm(s) a rest from pushing and pulling. Got the next five days off from work. Zona bound.

TU-GX later today. I should be okay for squats on Wednesday. I think I’m still burning good calories. Looks like I averaged 10 times more cals per hour than sleeping 4 hours yesterday including 1 hour of training.

Wake 191; 26% - 51.5% - the process continues. Stacks, pbh – finish my shake before heading out.

Good GX – thought my cal-burn was light 320 – 2468/ 200 = 740.5 ph – but it’s actually better averaged.

42413 (Wednesday #306) – Wake 189.5 (drank breakfast)  - just eeked back into the 180s – 3 so far. Practiced some 1 arm pushups on knees with yoga block, some regular push pushups, and some off the wall with the right. Air squats, misc exercise b/w chores & wasting time. Ankles are sore, both evenly. I’m thinking exercise/impact even light…

Good aqua GX – broke sweat. Squats: (225 lbs) 44 in 4 sets. 13 reps 1st set.  2 sets of calf presses. Pre-meal, grilled cheese, toms-shrooms-spinach.

42513 (Thursday #307) – Wake 189.5 after a short 90 min. nap (4 AM). Zona bound, drank breakfast. Walked to 69th st.

42613 (Friday #308) – Tucson, AZ.

Ate at the frat house last night. No doubt eating and training differently this weekend. Long sleep, jet lag, time change, etc. hotel gym is only ok, probably do more and better in my room. Woke with sore/tight low back, so more core work @ work. 

Morning cals: squats, pushups, bridge presses, toe touches, - still not done. Aqua Box style pool workout. Pretty rough at first but not bad: jump kicking is beastie, sunning, meditation, 30 mins.

42713 (Saturday #309) – Tucson, AZ. Saturday morning chill. Walked to Waffle House for breakfast, maybe get some pool time or can I see how far I can walk? Keeping no meat breakfast, but still getting some during the trip. No terrible effects.
Chillin' in Tucson - Got a couple of Aqua Workouts in, which I 

immediately incorporated into my aqua sessions at the university.

Pool workout done!! Some new ideas for class, if I can remember. Took a lot out of me. It’s HOT  today!!

42813 – (Sunday #310) – Tucson, AZ – rough night at the hotel. Alarms kept going off. I did get some zzz & dreams. Travel day. No workout today I imagine. Straight to work or call sick// hmmm.
Tucson – 2 Dallas – 1

42913 – (Monday #311) – PHL – wake 189.5 – Took a sick day. Right thing to do. Dreary and rainy… sucks to be here but time is passing, maybe some morning calisthenics, especially back stretch work. Plane got the lower back tight.

100 squats, slow & steady to start the day off. 20 bridge presses, 50 knee lifts – just trying to get started.

Home Work!! Kind of a new combo method. Choose weights, choose reps and try and reduce rest time and sets. 
Two 30 lb dumbbells. We increase reps as the exercises become easier.
#1 Squat-Curl-Press  20 reps in 4 sets  (uneven sets)
#2 Squat-Thrust-Press – 20 reps in 4 sets (even sets of 5)
#3 Squat-Press – 20 straight (probably should have done more)
#4 Shrugs – 25 – 20 – 25 – 30 (change hand position each time)  100 total, they’re shrugs.
#5 Dead Lifts (straight legs) 20 – 20 (slow) will probably increase this as well.
#6 Mat press + pushups (wide off the dumbbells) super sets
              Press – (2, 50 lbs) 15 – 12 – 13 – 15 [the less time between sets the less reps produced]
              Pushups 8 – 7 – 8 – 6  [these buggers were hard, especially wide and right after fatiguing the muscles with the presses. I’ll take it tho.]

Done Deal!! New home work sequence. Keep at this, increase reps, increase strength and power.

43013 – (Tuesday #312) – AM work. Recovering, relaxing and preparing for GX later today.

Wake 189.5 – 100 squats, drank breakfast, PBH Sammich.
Home – 3/Temple – 1/Home 1 – that should clear things up. Extra normal cleaning up from the weekend.
Good gx & Aqua – wiped out as usual. Cal counter went off on me 2742 cals in 2:22, about 1350 per hour. 3026 @ the 2:36 mark. Call it a day. Seems like a lot of intermittent measuring. Clock kept turning off/stopping.

MAY!!! [About 60 days to go]

50113 (Wednesday #313) – Wake 188: drink water. 100 squats; 30 bridges; various other body wt stuff; 120 front kicks (3 x 20 ea.). Thinking I should add the wt vest, but let’s just do more squats. Imagining new routines for TU-GX. Last Aqua Box of the session today – Squats after, try to increase to 50-ish!! Get stronger!!!!

Measuring Day – small reductions throughout [maybe I’ll transfer the data to this log. I don’t feel that excited about it for some reason.] Most lean muscle zones stayed the same. Leaner and hopefully denser all over. Better definition in the belly. Yes!! 

MEASURING DAY RESULTS:
Torso measurements ever 45 days:
Top – 102 cm was 101  +1cm (insignificant)
Middle – 91 cm – was 93 -2cm (less than an inch but going in the right direction)
Bottom – 95 cm – was 97 -2 cm (same)
Under – 97 cm – was 98   -1 cm (right direction): Get my torso measurements down into the 80s, again.

60 DAY MEASUREMENTS
Chest 101 cm – was – 104  -3cm (hopefully this is a loss of fat and not muscle. Definition suggests fat)
Shoulders 122 – was 125   -3 (same)
Butt 104 – was 106    -2 (same)
Thighs 61 [both] was 61
Calves 35.5 [both] was 36 essentially no change
Forearms 29 [both]  29 no change
Upper Arms [bent] – 39 – was 40
Knees both 38 [knees were measured b/c the rt seems bigger, swollen.

Good Aqua!

Squats: 225 – 55 in 5 sets. 15 reps first set. Feeling stronger by the 3rd set. Maybe I should do 5 or more sets a week. Still doesn’t feel any lighter. [155 total squats today.]
Cal-Burn: 3107 @ 3 hr mark. 1036.6 CPH – 7462 @ 8:12 mark. 910 CPH – not bad. Have to note 3 hours at a Limpbizkit concert, may have skewed the results. Hot dog, beer & pizza slice may negate the burn however. This is basically two lbs of fat burned in 8 hours, (waking.)

50213 (Thursday #314) wake 189.5: H2O first thing:110 squats in 4:40 (mins:secs); 50 pushups [felt the burn in my chest and not the pain in my arms/shoulders. Can I get back to 100 a day (in one set)??] Don’t forget one-arms. 40 bridges: 100 knee lifts. Drank breakfast, then almonds, fruit, yogurt covered raisins second breakfast.

To Media – (Great blackened duck salad at Quotations)
My strength and balance in doing this move has diminished from lack

of practice. I've found it difficult to get back into it. As you can see, my 
form is also lacking. Yet another challenge.
Need to get back to practicing planges & back to suspension training at work tonight. I think this session ends this week. Two weeks off from Temple, I should do some run- or jogging. Park tomorrow of lift therapy??
Y-GX: Strong 2505 cals @2:30. Started the cal counter 1 hr before class. 3667@3:41
2:30 – 1002 CPH
3:41 – 995.5 CPH

Y-GX kicked my ass today. I don’t think I ate enough. Protein & meal replacement mix after, but no energy boost. Need to find the formula for high E!!

50313 (Friday #315) AM – work. What to do? Still kind of tired, first night back I never seem to get enough sleep. I think I can hit the park this afternoon, but can I do that and suspension training in antemeridian as well? We will know later…

Wake 188.5
125 Squats, just over 5 minutes
50 pushups
30 bridges
100 knee lifts
20 each side plank (knee) leg raises
Veggie patty for breakfast, stack. Park training, wiped me out. Protein afterwards.

It didn’t feel as intense as previous sessions until I finished. The wake up stuff probably fatigued me. Good.
Run thru grass ten minutes – very rough, slow and embarrassing.
Base Intervals (home plate to 3rd base)
Side shuffle 3 sets.
Cross leg run 3 sets
Run fwd & back 4 sets (walked last set). I am very slow but trying to build speed and endurance. 
Left knee doesn’t hurt but it’s weak. So it slows me down.
This may appear to represent yo-yo dieting, however the weight span is
only a couple of pounds (188 - 189.5). The drama does help to keep me
on top of things. For what it's worth, i think I like the discipline; the
exercise of recording my daily weight, making charts and watching the
numbers more than I am concerned about losing weight. I've been
rethinking the benefits of being at 175, I do believe I'll be faster and
more agile at 175; if I can maintain and or increase my strength that
would be BONUS!!

Bench Jumps (Video); side jumps (16) 180 degree front turn; 180 degree back turn combos

Bench Pistols – Rope pistols – One legged lunge squats off the bench.
Rope pushups easy style. Pushups/Dips bench combos.
Max HR 156 probably higher. Wrecked afterwards
1474 cals at 2:10 680 CPH, low compared to the rest of the week.  Funny I’m burning these cals but have lost no significant weight. Must be the food. I feel like I’m not eating enough. Need to get back to the wake up veggie shakes and perhaps have post workout food on hand. 

50413 (Saturday #316) AM – work. Last day of the Session XXIII – wow, 50 days to go. I’m thinking leg therapy at the Y later today. More leg extension stuff rather than presses etc. I wonder if I should give the wake up squats a break? I’m afraid I won’t come back to them. We’ll see when I wake up. I think my body/mind expects me to do them.

Wake 189 – no workout, just did chores and tried NOT to exercise. Nice way to end a session. Session XXIV starts at midnight (Cinqo de Mayo) and session XXV will be the final session ending midweek June 18th.

Went back to veggie breakfast drink today and decided to add an extra ½ scoop of protein, but I still feel sluggish and heavy. I think maybe my body is missing red meat, or maybe it’s just adjusting. I may have to introduce some lamb back into the diet every so often and maybe even a little pork, or maybe goat. It was sunny and warm today so I can’t blame the weather. I thought I should go to the Y for leg therapy today, but opted to catch up on chores, plus I wanted to get back to the back room workout – suspension training and pull-ups. Oh yeah, the left knee and rt ankle joints need strengthening, they are causing me to be wobbly going up the El (double) steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment