Sunday, March 10, 2013

X-ZACT Training Phase XIX: 22413 - 30913


Session XIX or 19…

Summary - The main theme of this session has been suspension training. The secondary theme is healing. Damn, seems not only did I have to battle another invader, but have to heal injuries as well and a few of them I don't even know exactly how I acquired. Also, yeah... my birthday. I celebrate more responsibly now. It could be because I'm "older;" it could be because I'm training and don't want to sacrifice any gains, it could be because I have vivid memories of embarrassing moments. In any case I celebrated and trained the next day. By the end of this session I am 72% through this year of Bajai Bootcamp II. I set loose, general goals, I experiment with supplements and exercise regimens, keep note, weight myself daily and take periodic measurements of muscle and fat. I treat my body as much like a lab as a temple. I think it helps to know what's going on. 

Here's a shot from mid 2001. I'm about 4
years into my 5 year plan, simply to bench
press my own weight (which was about
225 in 1996.) Here I'm about 200 lbs, still 
bulky with too much fat, but starting to 
take shape. Contrary to what the hype
suggests, this doesn't happen over night
and 90 days, 12 weeks,3 months is just
your initiation. This is lifetime stuff and
if you don't use it, you will lose it.
Guaranteed!!
This session finds gains and pains, a steady drop in weight and without even giving it much thought, a decline in pre-workout drinks. Sometimes the body just switches to auto-pilot.

22413 – (Sunday #249) AM – Work: Various suspension work, mostly pulling. Need to get my strap adjustments right. Also need to make time to loosen/open and strengthen the core!!!

Wake 192.5haven’t been here in a while. Random lifting and flexibility exercises. I realize my center needs to be opened and more flexible. I can hardly hold an L position. I can’t bend forward and this I believe is holding me back on many levels. I need to develop and execute and maintain a routine to achieve this progress. 

Didn’t eat much – typical night off routine.

22513 – (Monday #250) 194.5 @ midnight.

Short sleep. Might as well get up, eat, workout a bit. So what it’s 4:22AM!? Got up, folded clothes, ate oat meal and did flexibility exercises, deep squat – stretches, floor touches and stuff I don’t have names for yet.

Went for a nap, it’s still early. May get to the Y for leg presses and close grip presses… That will be my switch-up if I get to the Y w/in 3 days. I’ll do squats & wide grips one day and presses and close grip. Back to work tonight and more suspension push ups. I want to get to 20, make it look easy then get my feet elevated. I want to get to 20 with dips also. I think my waistline is getting smaller. I’m still wearing the “Fat Boy” (36’s) pants to it’s hard to tell.

So much for leg presses at the Y, sleep took over. Will have to re-adjust. Aqua-GX @ Temple, a must.

Temple gym has what I need for legs. I’ll be stopping there say, Mon & Weds after Aqua for shorties… sweet.

Seated Leg Press about 80 reps total, feeling the weight, then calf presses and 35 lb shin flexes, extend ROM on light weight.

22613 – (Tuesday #251) AM – work

Suspension Pushups: 16-16-16-12*-10* total 70
Suspension dips: 6-10-10-10-12*-8
*Switched the order (did dips first.)

Wake 193 – Good GX Sessions.

22713 (Wednesday #252) AM – Work
LEG CRAMP!!! Upper, Inner rt thigh.
Figured I’d relax today, thinking I can maybe do squats after Aqua. Fives – several sets of 5 reps, piling on the weight. We shall see.

BTW – 2 packs of honey and walking and guzzling water seemed to help the cramp. It almost brought me to tears.

Wake 191.5 – had a good sleep too – didn’t want to get up but probably slept too long. Slight headache. Aqua Gx and maybe squats. Cloudy & cool (48)

Good Aqua – mild headache, but hit the gym after.
Squats: 5x5 135-225-235-245-225
Leg extensions 4 – 5 sets.
Shin flex. Good 20 minutes, 2-3 sets. Good dinner.

Something a little more recent,(this decade).
Mid 190s, leaner, but no where near the 
promises of
extreme fitness/diet program claims. 
Another part of real life such programs don't
take into consideration - getting sick, getting
hurt, dramatic life changes, body type,
etc. We can still over come all of these, 
"obstacles" but we have to be relentless.
22813 – (Thursday #253) AM – Work.
Suspension pushups & Dips.
Pushups: 18-14-12-16 60 Total
Dips: 12-10-12-16     50 Total
Showing progress, burned the pecks!!

Still have a slight headache. Talking about fitness excites me. Not bad, increased reps per set. I’ll take it and the burn too. Y-GX Later today.

Wake 191.5 39% 47% - Still blowing snot out of my nose, slight headache – more head than chest now.
(Dinner with Mom).

MARCH 2013 – Hit it Pal!!!

30113 – (Friday #254)
HAPPY Birthday 191.5 (might be a lazy scale, but who cares?)

I imagined I’d hit the gym today, but didn’t. Fridays have become rest days and I make it to the Y on Saturdays. It works. An extra day between heavy squats and hi-rep squats. Since I can do heavy days at Temple I can keep the weight lower at the Y and focus on increasing reps at 135 to 225 lbs. 

The chest is noticeably thicker. Tried on some shirts I got a while back… tight up top.

30213 – (Saturday #255) Wake 193.5: Good day to wake up. Headed to the Y for squats and wide presses, maybe leg therapy. Maybe I can break 100 today; it’s been a while. I think the bug is dead. Knee is… not sore, but not up to 100% either. I can feel its weakness. It will take time.

Got a purge going on. Probably due to eating differently than usual. No stomach pain however.
YMCA

Squats – 100 done!!
Start 175 @ 20 – 15 – 10 then progress to 225 doing 5 – 10 reps (up to 75 reps) Then finish with 155 lbs x 10 reps and 135 x 15… not bad. I should make 125 my minimum next time around.
Wide presses – 115+ many sets 10-12 reps. At the first 8 rep set I drop the weight down.
Did 200 – 300 weightless calf raises.
Shin Flex – 85lbs 3 x 20 – 16 – 12
Leg therapy – single leg extensions
Stretch 75 minutes

30313 – (Sunday #256) Wake 195 @ 430 AM. Stayed up for a while and did some monster squats (squats, curl, press, reverse), some ab stuff w/ ankle weights – hardly felt the weight. Shadow boxing, twisting standing abs. Back to sleep around 11am. Massage 6pm.

30413 (Monday #257) wake 193.5 – early wake 4AM again. Sea salt purgative, 1 pint. Did the job… quickly.
The crazy daily yo-yo remains. Fluctuating between 2 lbs. This is
normal for me. And maybe for most people, so don't get nervous if
you are plus or minus a couple of pounds. Anyway, trending weight
is dropping, just in time for "cutting season. I feel like I can gain and
or drop weight at will these days, because i know how my body works
and responds to what I do to it. It's a good feeling.
Morning stack.

Have to lay off the wide pres for a while, right upper forearm tender and sore. Switch to close grips. Cutting the creatine this month. Will continue with B-A and arginine and suffer through the taste. Add lemon juice to H2O, see what happens.

Pull Day Done Early.
Wide grip pull up via smith machine feet on floor.
L-pulls reverse close grip 3-4-5 (not a good L, but I’ll get it.) 3 sets each.
Db (35lb) rows 3x12 + BB (135) shrugs 3x12
Bent bench flies (35lbs)
Standing db shrugs 35 & 50 lbs
Various abs, leg raises with ankle wts, wide and neutral grip pull up w/ ankle wts.
Wide & reverse close grip pull downs 3 sets each.
1 set dip w/ wts.

Thinking maybe cut B-A & arg for the month and keep extra 10 lbs of weight in my bag for the rest of the month. Knee is still healing.
Aqua then leg work @ Temple.
Seated Leg Presses – calf press - shin flex 3 rounds
3 sets of seated leg curls. 15 – 20 minutes.

30513 (Tuesday #258) – Anticipating some suspension pushups at the gig. Been away from them for a while and think they have added some thickness to the chest. My body hair seems thicker too – hard to say, maybe b/c I haven’t cut it in a while. I’m thinking body hair is a sign f higher testosterone. Could be my bias, but it could also be fact. When in doubt, I’m going with the most favorable scenario.

Suspension Training:
Pushups: 20*-20-20-20-20 = 100 (my first 20 & first 100)
Dips:     10-12-10-10-10-13 = 65
I may have to lay off of these due to elbow, but it didn’t seem to hurt while I was doing them. As long as I don’t try to go wide I should be ok. I think the scores (20s) are for real. Stay here this week and maybe elevate next week.

Wake 193.5 – rushed out, sort of. GX today & Aqua. Good sessions – pretty worn as usual. More coaching – knee is stronger, but still not back.

30613 (Wednesday #259) AM – work Chillin’ updating.
Got two red marks, bruises perhaps, just above the elbow, outside. Doesn’t seem to be any pain. I iced them anyway. I think this could be from suspension pushups, from rubbing on the straps, or strain – I didn’t notice them before. So, now I‘ve got something else to keep an eye on. The price of strength and fitness. Geeze!! Tiger balmed.
Wake 191.5 – Woke up strong, but stole a snooze. Did some core opening exercises, back bending stuff – not that my back bends very much. I’m trying to change that.
Aqua GX, then Squats
Temple Squats (5x5) + 2: 135-225-225-235-250-225-135. The first 225 set was tough so I repeated it.

Right front delt sore, but don’t know why. Ice & rub. Knee still healing.
Dropping weight, eating less meat, perhaps I should eat more or add more fish during the week. Maybe tonight?

30713 (Thursday #260) AM – Work
Suspension work – closer to standing today. Seems like as soon as I’m making good progress something hurts. This shoulder pain came out of nowhere – the elbows I have an idea about. So I’m doing easy suspension early – pulls (lats), triceps & chest. Heat-rubbed the shoulder, & wrist curls, feeling sleep.

Wake 193.5 flex morning stuff, wake stack, meal CLA & Omega-3 combo.
YGX Today
Sore shoulder, iced before bed.
YGX was a LOT stronger today. Moderate knee strength, great cardio & motivation.

30813 (Friday #261) AM- work
Suspension training is not going to work today; elbow and shoulder (rt side) need rest. If I make it to the Y later today I may do leg presses on the smith. Geeze, just when I hit 20 reps sets and 100 reps on the tour.

Wake 191.5 Slept late, or should I say woke and went back to sleep. Cloudy, windy, ugly day. Did flexibility work, esp back bends.
Sore spots: Left ankle, inside – this got iced. I don’t know what I did to either spot (rt shoulder). Left knee is better. Right knee is being tricky. If I step slightly oddly I get pain, but it doesn’t last, doesn’t cripple and the knee remains stable.

30913 (Saturday #262) Last day of session 19 (AM – Work) and I’m lamenting injuries again.. or still! Possibly my usual Saturday routine, wake strong, go to the Y and do what I’d imagined myself doing on Friday. I think I could use some leg presses. The question is, should I lay off lifting next week and do cardio machines flexibility, balance and “easy” stuff – or keep lifting? I wanted to get some bench presses in to see if those suspension push ups made me stronger in that area; but, the same shoulder hurts, that I hurt bench pressing in 2008, in the same place. It doesn’t seem like a good idea, but things can change by Monday. Hmmm. Perhaps I should just wait until Monday to make a decision.
Wake  191.5

YMCA - Made it to the Y today -

100 Leg presses - I didn't even total the weight, I just know I started with 6,  45 lb plates and ended with just over 400 lbs. I did this in the same pyramid pattern I do squats in. Start with a moderate wt and do about 20 reps, add weight, drop reps. I actually got stronger during the process. One set would be 5 reps and the next set, same wt. would be 10 reps. I love inverted leg presses anyway.

Directly after the leg press I did anywhere from 20 - 30 calf presses, then single calf raises, 10 - 16 reps each.
Then, close grip flat bench presses... moderate wt. about 115 - 155... That's a round. I did multiple rounds. Finished up with 100 reps (in 4 sets) of shin flexes.

Then, went to Shakedown and danced my ass off for hours!! Drank lots of water. That's how I ended this session.

No comments:

Post a Comment