Friday, December 7, 2012

X-ZACT Training Phase XII - 111812-120112


SESSION 12!!! 

What clever comment can I make about this session? Oh yeah, it brings us into the Holiday season. Yikes… Maybe a quick flashback to remind me what last year was like. Well… last year wasn’t that expressive, but here it is nonetheless, day 152 of Ruggedness: 

111711 - Day 152 - WOW, a milestone day and didn't even realize. 183. Went a few days without the psy-husk and waste accumulated and I felt it; lack of NRG, however that could have been the weather, bad sleep, several factors. Today (a Thursday) Functional Fitness at the Y tried some new moves that met with approval. Ditched the hot legs today. Abs are looking impressive I must say, could be the swimming, or probably a the combo of things. I cite the swimming b/c that's the newest part of the routine. 


111812 (Sunday #152) And now, back to the present: AM- Work. I am chillin’ updating this journal and looking forward to a massage this evening. I mentioned my seven measuring strategies last week, I forgot #8, which is the massage. After a year Keanne can tell me – and does – how the body is developing. Legs have definitely improved, by her estimation, (touch), and by the way my boxer-briefs are fitting – more snugly. I’m expecting my knee to be back in shape in a week or less, however I am also thinking I can take December to focus more on two strength and muscle building exercises – bench press/pushups and squats. I can do back on a tertiary level as it’s in pretty good shape, plus the back gets work with pushups as well. I can work biceps/triceps/shoulders on off or odd days) Essentially back to vanity through the winter and start shredding again when the sun is reborn. 

111912 (Monday #153) Wake up 193 woke up strong, well and rested.
Breakfast: Chicken thighs & broccoli. Some warm up push ups. Interview/chat at Lifesport Gym. 2 slices of Pizza (pre-workout meal)

Max Legs Monday
Squats 10 sets of 5 (most if not all sets had 5 reps) didn’t go very high maxed at 325, no extreme knee pain. 2 deep sets at the end 205 lbs. (deep squats affect abs)
Tri sets – Calf raises (barbells)/Leg press (heavy and deep ROM)/ Calf press 3 or 4 rounds, good and strong…
Shin Flex started with 70 lbs, ended with 3 sets w/ 80 lbs… fluke or real strength, we’ll see next week.
Leg Curls – didn’t max out or go very heavy (someone was waiting)
Leg X – started with a set of singles, but wasn’t feeling it so went doubles and racked out.
Seated leg press, high and deep 4 sets + calf press
Stretch and out about 90 minutes

Max Legs + !! Post stacks, protein drink and nap.

I’ve noticed strength and balance increasing, flexibility and agility decreasing. Guess that’s the balance of things. Speaking of balance, the increase is noticed while riding the train. I feel I’d lost it for a while but it’s come back stronger.

I have recognized the value and benefit of pushups on the knees, easier but a different kind of push.

112012 (Tuesday #154) 193 30 BF/ 49% H2O  readings are still nuts

Up at 4AM back to sleep. Realized left knee didn’t hurt. Off to TGX – that will be a test.

Eval day. Hope I passed. Although I didn’t fully participate I felt run down afterwards. I cite yesterday’s lifting – although I may need to push the cardio harder. The last 2 sessions I felt kind of weak. 
A few pushups just because.

Legs feel heavy going u the steps.

11212 (Wednesday #155) AM _ work (3 straight wins at solitaire, pick 3 vegas style, just sayin.)

Wake 193 – steady
First meal at Perkins (w/ Stazja & Charlie) Steak and double spinach, then to the Y – Back day! (I was thinking it was chest day.)

BACK WORK!!!

Chin Ups L/ Pull Ups on the smith 4 x 6
T-Bar 10 sets 5 reps 115 max
Shrugs on the smith
Shrugs rev grip BB (185-ish)
Bent flies 50 lbs 4 x 6
Seated Mil Press prog to about 80 lbs. 4 x 6 (no shoulder pain)
Lat pull downs 3 x ?? 6, 8 maybe
Biceps pull downs – 3 x 6 150 max
DB Curls – 40s – rocking the 40s 4 sets of 5 each. (Need to bust out some 10s before going to 45s)

Just over an hour I think. Post workout stacks (BCAA & Brewer’s yeast) and protein drink (20g) at home

194.5 random wt after a cleanse event.

112212 (Thursday #156) AM- Thanksgiving, work. Updating everything.

I can probably get away w/o training today. Dinner w/ fam, maybe a rest day, strong on Friday? Or the weekend. I won’t be shopping.

Oh yeah – some dumbbell shoulder work. Minor stuff.
Wake 194.5 :


112312 (Friday #157) Prep for chest day at the Y – Lift Therapy Friday

Wake 194.5 40 BF 46% H2O Ridiculous!! Cup of tea before bed – not the best idea. Woke up and realized no time for gym and dinner so…  pushups 6 to 8 sets nice and easy, slow various styles to focus on different parts. Some practice squats and Saturday for chest.

Two more weeks of Temple, then two months off (budget cuts) guess what?!? Yeah – more time for me. 
Maybe tired or energy down due to dinner or not training or a combo. Can’t recall the last time I missed two straight days (week days that is). Must make at least one up on Saturday. 

Thinking of doing morning burpees for a spell. I may need to do slowly when I wake up. Nod to Tom.

1124212 (Saturday #158) AM – Work.

Let me just note that I felt very un-energetic until I started exercising, dumbbells and straps. Must get to the gym to finish up this week.

Need to start thinking about my routine X-mas week in Miami.. I’m thinking body work BLASTS!!

Came home straight to bed 197 lbs!!! Holiday eats & drinks. Slept 10 hours (intermittent alarm when off and I went straight back to sleep) Good stuff.  Glad I worked out at the gig.

Lower left side sore – core sore.

Got some P90X+ vids YAY!!

Lite warm up stuff, maybe get a little chest before work – maybe do more at work too. Plus maybe the Y tomorrow.

This is the end of week 5 of 6 – home stretch – but holiday celebrations get in the way.

HOME WORK OUT: Chest- triceps-shoulders… Let’s go (got an exercise video on for inspiration, though I’m not doing their routine.)

1. Flat bench press 40lbs 4 sets of 15 reps (4x15)
2. Standing triceps extensions (behind the head) 40lbs 4x15
3. Lateral raises (standing) 20 lbs 4x10
4. 1-arm dumbbell push (flat bench) 40lbs 2 sets of 5 reps each arm (last set was 8,5 each arm)
5. Flat lateral flies 20 lbs. 3x16
6. Triceps kick backs 30 lbs 3x10 each arm
7. Seated dumbbell press 30 lbs. 3x10

Done about 55 minutes.

Protein drink – forgot to take the BCAA’s (took them later, before work)

Here’s the meal stack. (Once a day with my biggest meal usually the one before the workout.
Calcium; Saw Palmetto; Vitamin E; Omega 3 Fish Oil; Glucosamine; Bee Pollen

Figured out why I’m moving so slowly – FOOD! DUH!. The body needs to metabolize the dinners, and it’s overloaded b/c I don’t usually eat this much. In case you don’t know this – (disclaimer - ) some nutritionists believe that the body uses the most energy to digest the food we eat. That’s the priority. The more we eat, the more energy it takes to digest the food – and the less energy we have to do anything else. This is what’s known as the “itis.” 

I might also note that I stepped up the Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) shots post Holiday eating. I’m a huge advocate of ACV and encourage everyone I mention it to, to look up its benefits. 

I’ll probably do more training tomorrow (AM) in case I don’t make it to the Y.

112512 (Sunday #158) AM – Work.
Got the dumbbells and pushup bars out and using them. Trying some new and old stuff. Did this intermittently throughout the tour. I should get back to this.

Salad, trail mix & grapes; wasn’t hungry all tour.

Wake 194

Home Work: Chest shoulders biceps & Squats – thinking about intermittent exercise throughout the day and night, light weights & body weight. Save heavy days for the Y. Also check out a new gym.

No pre or post supps from what I can remember.

Incline Bench – dbs 5 sets progressed to 40 lbs.
Bent flies (seated) 12s
Biceps curls 30s progressive
A few others … various, random but focused on these 3 muscle groups, maybe hit some pushups on the yoga blocks.

Bowling with the fam – felt the lf knee towards the end.

112612 (Monday #159) Wake 191 this is the post holiday drop, surely I’ll get back to wt class.

Chores done – get to gym early, eat again.

Max legs: let’s start the squats at 250 this week.

Felt a lil in the left leg from bowling, upper body sore from last 2 days of intermittent upper body work. 
Damn! Pants are tight, maybe just cuz they’ve been washed… But … Start CLA today.
Final (extra) week of Cr. Supp. 

I’m still dealing mentally with the fat/heavy/muscular/strong quadernity. I still need to be better prepared to eat; keep some raw snacks in the house. I think the trail mix probably isn’t doing me that good with all the sweets I put in there. I’ll have to nix the chips for a while, stick with nuts and get more almonds and oranges too. 

Note: Shopping after the Y Max legs - !! Hit the WALL after squats . had to throw in the towel, burst out into a sweat. 

Squats were very successful tho. Solid 335 sets and deep 225!!

Had some pains I think in the area of the spleen – purge episode followed, don’t know what caused it, but I’m thankful (and hopeful) it’s out.

PS: Post abbreviated workout; BCAA’s & Brewer’s yeast and protein drink at home.

Next measuring day around Dec. 15th…

112712 (Tuesday #160) AM – Work

I think I’m going to pick up the intermittent training more enthusiastically. I feel I’m making gains with the 10s at work and the straps and the dumbbells at home, esp on days I don’t get outside (with shorter days and all). I think I’ll take my straps to Miami to train. I’ve advised not to “save strength/energy” and I should take this advice. I almost always feel better when I train before a fitness class. 

I have the dumbbells out … so, some reading and exercise and meditation – body/mind/soul.

Wake 191

GX seemed easy. I think I could’ve pushed more in GX-T today, my cardio energy is lacking. I’ll pick it up during the break. Doc’s appt cancelled, plans thrown off, but I’ll deal. BCAA’s & BY post Aqua. Maybe some intermittent wt training @ home. Eh – didn’t do it. 

Tummy feels funny and got me feeling blah – cold wet weather didn’t help.

Had spinach lentil wrap , tea and guilty pleasure post aqua. Hmmm crock pot chicken left overs for dinner & reintroduce the elixir tea substitute.

112812 (Wednesday #161) AM  Work

Going to db strap & leg work tonight, no chance to lift later today, unless no one shows for aqua, got ankle wts on already.

OK so no strap work, balance wt work and butt raises.

Wake 193 – no change.

Warm up squats – crazy zombie dreams. I was after them for a change. May have to do home work this eve.

112912 (Thursday #162) AM – work.

Started some pushups w/ the bars, maybe some balance wt work with the bells… maybe straps, but I’m lazy.

I kind of want to get back into doing crazy amounts of push ups, but then again I don’t – maybe. Stuff like curls while balancing on one leg, et al will do more good, esp core-wise. 

Mostly balance db stuff but not too much, will I push YGX today?? GI is still kind of funny. It may have been 2 days w/o tea, been drinking the elixir instead and ACV before bed in the morning. Maybe I can get back to dead lifts Friday? End this session and flush out the Cr. 

Wake 195 – Solid even post rituals. Feel like I’m lacking in energy, guess it’s taken this long to catch up w/ me and the weight. YGX in less than 60.

Went ok, I’m a bit stronger but not fully participating. Had to break out the fatboy pants, roomier, but warmer too (that’s why I keep them around). I have a belly ache, (GI stuff). Next measuring day will be interesting.

113012 (Friday #163) AM – work

Ankle wts & reading. 3X!! Stomach settled but the body was doing some serious evictions. Going over my mental menu to imagine what the food culprit was, if any. It could have been fighting off a bug. May have to have a Meta-cocktail before bed. Maybe legs again Friday. Haven’t lifted (heavy) since Monday and THAT was abbreviated. Last 2 days of Cr. Supplementing, went kind of fast even though Novo seemed to go slowly. Go figure.

YMCA Legs today… Wake 193 (after 3 tries body fat and H2O are practically even, this scale!. 1x pre workout.

Another short one, went heavy with dead lifts/calf raises (smith) super sets, then leg extensions – fatigued quickly.

I think there’s a bug the body’s trying to eliminate, feel more tired post wk/o. 
Considering 2 wks cardio/body work. Wrap up the past 6 weeks tomorrow.


DECEMBER!! 


120112 (Saturday #164)  (Straight to the journal) AM - Work

I wonder if I’ll get my ass up and hit the gym today for some back and chest work. I’ve been lazy on cold but sunny weekends and I can easily find an excuse or 7 to bag it today. First legit weekend off in how many weeks?? I don’t even know, so we shall see. 

This is the end of the session…. 12, it is (I had to look). Lucky 13 coming up, and as I sit here typing this in, I am imagining what I’m going to do fitness-wise for the next fortnight. I’ve been telling myself cardio & body-wt work and add burpees to the mix, daily, like I used to do push ups. Maybe run a few times down the parkway (remembering how that turned out last time.) One more week of TGX and my Tuesdays and Wednesdays will be completely free so a run and some park workouts – late Autumn style may actually come to pass. There’s always the possibility of getting back on the treadmill as well. Which ever the case I’ll be sure to document it. 

I don’t want to lose the gains I’ve made especially in the squats, but I’ve got some leg work that might make these gams even stronger and more ready for the squat rack. Stay tuned. 

Oh man, almost forgot – and really wish I had; I think I’m supposed to do some eval pix. UGH!. Maybe after the gym… when I’m a bit more pumped up. It will be interesting to see if there’s a significant difference between these pix and any I do after two weeks of cardio and body wt blasting.

Wake 193 – Got the heat on. Made it to the Y, thought about chest, but back and shoulders were more important (appealing too).

T-Bar First – much stronger. 5 sets wide grip progressed to 120, 5 – 3 reps ea.
Then 3 sets neutral/close grip 3 reps between L-pull ups on the smith. (The cross bar of the smith is about 2x4 and makes the grip more challenging that a regular pull up bar.) I do as many as I can and try to bring my view up over the bar. I get 6 the first set and decrease from there. Wide grip pull ups on a proper bar/grip were pretty lame. I didn’t get the height, but still felt the work. I wonder if I can muscle up by he spring??

Barbell shrugs w/ wrist straps – progressed to 315. Some people including me at times frown on using wrist-assists, but when it’s time to go heavier than my normal grip allows or in the case of a semi-swollen digit, I’m usin’ ‘em!

Bent fly (50s) + up right row (EZ curl bar 40 lbs) 3x6 super sets – this was tougher than I thought it would be. I felt strong at first but seemed to fatigue quickly.

I'm a chart fiend! This is from Session 12 which includes the big holiday
increase and drop in weight. I decided to put last year's chart in for
comparison.
Lat pull downs 3 x 6 @ 105 + Shoulder laterals 25s 3 super sets.

Reverse flies with a band – this is basically spreading your arms open as wide as possible against the resistance to work the upper back muscle group, (teres major, rhomboids, etc.) the cool looking ones we almost never see. (BTW, this is tough at the end of a session, or maybe b/c I’m not used to doing it.)

6 weeks DONE!! Now cardio/body work for session 13. I don’t really have time for pix. Sorry I’m late in posting this too, I’m sure you’re hanging on every exercise and keeping me honest, ha ha.

Low-middle left side of belly is tight, abs or organs?? I need to look this up. It’s a regular occurrence.

PS: Oatmeal & blueberries, pre-work drink & stack, & post BCAAs. Off of supps for 2 wks. No Cr. For a month.

This is the same week a year ago. I am a solid 10 lbs. heavier this year
which was indeed the plan. The year-to-date chart, which I'll post around
the half way point (Day 180 or so) will show when and how the weight gain
took place. It corresponded with adding protein, eating more meat and
lifting heavier. I still have to figure out how it will affect me over the long
run. 


No comments:

Post a Comment