Sunday, November 4, 2012

X-ZACT TRAINING: Phase X (Cooler looking than "10") 102112 – 110312


Just a few reminders in case you’re just joining us. 


1. X-ZACT Stands for Xtreme Zombie Apocalypse Combat Training. I literally jumped on the Zombie Band wagon a year ago and have been coming up with acronyms ever since. The theme is admittedly fizzling out, however…

2. This is a year-long fitness program, so I feel as though I can’t or shouldn’t change the title mid-stream. I must stay the course. Although it lasts a year, it is broken down into different phases or cycles. I jot down a few notes, routines, philosophies, impressions and when I’m not feeling “right,” in my notebook DAILY (even if I don’t train) and upload everything to this blog fortnightly. (When I transpose these notes I rarely edit so it may seem as if it’s written in real time.) 

3. Yes, I am anal, empirical, consistent, determined, however I have several personality traits working against me, which I won’t mention but I am trying to overcome. I weigh myself daily, take eval pix on a regular bases, workout 2 – 4 times a week for myself and teach fitness classes 3 days a week. 

4. I am not training for anything in particular. I have no fights coming up; no black belt tests, no body building competitions – when people ask me what I’m training for I’ll either tell them, “the zombie apocalypse,” or “to be an old man in a hostile city,” either one will do. 

5. FINALLY, I do this for me to look back on and for anyone who’s reading to get what they can (or will) out of it. To some it may be information, inspiration, voyeurism or entertainment. So let’s get on with Phase X!


This is also the beginning of six weeks of heavy lifting during which I plan to get stronger and leaner. I also plan to follow the science of body building including eating and supplementing. You’ll see the results if any; the excuses, if any. Phases 10 through 12 will be about body building. I wish I could tell you I’ll be lifting as if for a competition – but I honestly don’t know how to do that in real life. Nor do I want to restrict myself from certain elements of my lifestyle. I’m not that dedicated. Plus, in order to do this I’d have to hire a trainer who’s had experience training for competition (note, if you plan to do this, get a guy or lady who’s done it. Even if they didn’t win, they know what it takes to get you there.) I’m actually thinking of sequestering myself. My socializing experiment doesn’t seem to be going well. This is a good time to hibernate anyway. 

102112 (Sunday #125) AM – Work: Studying supplement stacks. No information about how this stuff works for guys my age… I guess I’ll be the lab rat. As a fitness professional I can write these products off as business expenses. Of course my “research” won’t be clinical or “blind” the conclusion will come down to – ‘did this work for me?’ – that might be good enough.

- Going into a one week load phase with creatine (Cr.) and will probably merge in beta alanine a week or two later. I did some research, seems okay.

Wake 191 – grilled cheese sandwich w/ tomatoes No Exercise… Massage Day.

102212 (Monday #126) – AM Work

Start Cr. Loading phase. Got my little film canisters filled with Cr. & Kool Aid – 3 8 oz. (5g Cr.) doses on the tour. Another before the Y and the last one probably before I leave for work. Then start the cycle again. I’ll have to adjust the times to compensate for odd work schedules.

In – 193; wake 191 23% 53.5% 62` 6.5 hrs sleep. Legs & Back at the Y – got 4 (20g) of Cr. In me – less what snuck out … maybe that’s why you load? Anyway, excited to get back to pumping iron. Let’s see what the next 6 wks bring.

PB& Honey w/ Cinnamon. Dropped 2 before the gym. Things are normal.

SOLID WORKOUT!!
10 sets of 5 reps (Squats) start 185 ---> 275. Slight soreness in rt knee (outside) subsided by the third set. Short 30 – 60 second rests. Done in 20 minutes.

Leg press rotation 3 rounds within 3 rounds: [Leg press then 10 second rest followed by calf presses 10 seconds then repeat. Add weight, then repeat. This is a thigh burner especially after the squats.] This takes 10 – 15 more minutes. Increase weight between rounds.

Bent barbell row (reverse grip) 135 3x8

Leg Curls (seated) 120 ---> 210 (still struggling with the 210s, but getting stronger).
Single leg extension up to 150 lbs w/ effort.

I believe in and count on the placebo effect, although Cr. Has been studied and proven (but not by me). I have to will/want it to work.

102312 (Tuesday #127) AM – Work

Day 2 Cr. Load – 12p - 3:30a – 6a approximately. Next as close to GX as possible, then 9pm – I’ll have to alter the timeline today.

Turkey pepperoni & cheese.

HR 57 BPM (I take it randomly from time to time) – really tired & sleepy probably due to workout.

Wake 193 – in 193 unbelievable BF over 20 then 35% & 43.5% H2O; wt dropped to 191.5 considering how the scale works there’s much less conductivity in my body or the scale’s electronic pulse has gotten weaker. I think it’s new scale time. This one may be up to ten years old, (closer to 7 I think). Time for a replacement or a second opinion.

More coaching than participating in GX today. Unleashed the monster, but hardly felt the effects, just now noticed, I got though it pretty easily. Maybe reverse next week?

Legs are sore, like they’ve not been in a long time, (from yesterday).

102412 (Wednesday #128) 8 hrs. not uninterrupted tho.

Woke 190.5 and dehydrated. Had two doses of Cr. Before bed (@ 2am) didn’t disturb sleep. Sore upper thighs and butt from squats Monday. Did 2 sets of air squats this morning.

Veggie omelet for breakfast.

Chest & back at the Y, then Aqua GX at Temple. It’s a high carb day… so brown rice I guess or I’ll go out to eat maybe. I’m so used to a not-so-high carb diet … maybe a slice of pizza or I’ll go to Silk after Temple… Options.

6 Stations – sets of 5 reps 45 mins.

Incline Bench press – 135 – 140 6 x 5
BB Shrugs 12 – 10 – 8 – 5 progressively heavier
Declines (Smith) 6 x 5 progressive  (no records)
One arm row – DB – 4 x 6 80 lbs.
Close grip press 90 warm up set then 4 sets with 135 lbs 4 – 5 reps.

BCAA’s Honey – PB Honey & Cin sandwich.

Ended up just snacking most of the evening. Never did get that pizza slice. Maybe tomorrow. Took last dose Cr. On time.

102512 (Thursday #129) – Wake 3 different readings on the scale – 188.5 – 190.5 – 189 30% 50% H2O time for a new scale for sure (189 charted.) Took the first Cr. Dose 1am (1 hr before bed). This is day 4 of loading.

Chest is sore from yesterday’s session it was probably the most beneficial in a long time. By the book so to speak. Got six stations in 45 minutes – minimal rest between sets average 45 – 60 seconds.

First signs of a purge event? Seems to be a cyclical thing toward the end of the week.

Can I repeat the success of the past … only faster? Lose weight by predominantly lifting? Now that I think of it – I don’t have the luxury of solely lifting – so this will be an interesting experiment. If I am indeed 30% body fat – can I gain 10 lbs of muscle and lose 10 lbs of fat?? Maybe my mind can help, it may also help to clean the leads on my scale – or buy a new one. 

YMCA – GX; on the way challenging Y-GX f. The Monster & guerrilla work. Left knee issue subsides after a few minutes returns.

Chicken thighs & mushrooms for dinner. Almost forgot tomato & cheese & avocado (guac) for post wk/o snack, plus trail mix.

Just a few at the end of the workout, got to get the legs up
higher. Keep the core strong, or super strong! Ouch!
Cr. #5 of the day. I still look fat. I’m obsessing, but that’s the key to success.

102612 (Friday #130) AM – work
Just chilled. Day 5 of Cr. Last loading day.

Wake 190.5 22%  (appx.)

I am seriously going backwards, unless the scale is off. But even going up the El steps has got me breathing heavier than I remember. Measure day 103012 or there abouts. Legs & back today. Deadlifts and pull ups. 

Forgot to do the pull ups, except for the pic of he day.

Deadlifts (Romanian) 4 sets (opposite grip alter each set, 1 hand up 1 down) 5 to 3 reps 225- 235- 255- 275
--- 2 sets Romanian single lifts – 295 & 315 (not bad, felt pretty strong)
--- 2 sets of Power lifts (legs bent singles) 345 went up surprisingly easy. 365 w/ effort. Pretty cool, I haven’t lost too much off of this. Might have been easier without the earlier sets.

Shin Flex: Hi (75 lbs) 7-10 reps & Low (35 lbs)  20 – 30 reps. + standing calf raises (smith machine) 4 or 5 rounds.

Bent BB rows (pronated) 135 + bent flies 35s + more calf raises – 4 rounds.

Sitting cable shrugs (pulling downwards) + military press (small bar) 45 lbs.
Cable twists, done 75 minutes.

Last day of Cr. Loading, switch over to maintenance for 4 weeks. BCAA’s & PBH&C post workout and grape for snack.

Happy hour – got buzzed on 2 glasses of hose wine!?! I’m dubious.

Chicken avocado & spinach for dinner. Last Cr. No crazy side effects of any effects noticed. (I suppose I can credit creatine at least partially with this week’s performance. Reintroducing apple cider vinegar (ACV) to the system this weekend as a regular additive. Maybe every other day. Eating so much protein, well maybe not that much.

CLA has been suspended for a month. I think it has stopped working.

102712 (Saturday #131) AM – work:
Dropped 2 – not very hungry – had my salad and trail mix – I think the maintenance phase should start today 5g Cr. Daily, before workouts and even on non workout days. I’m wondering if there will be any withdraws. This first week was okay … hopefully I’ll have some legit bragging to do by week 6. I’m sleeping in today. I may do some ab work when I wake up.

6:40AM Random HR 70 BPM just walked a few blocks and down stairs to the train platform.

In @ 194 – wake 194 19.5% 55.5%: the BF/H2O changed to 27.5/51 after elimination, which goes contrary to the existing pattern as well as theory. YMCA scale put me at 195 post workout yesterday so … corroboration. Hard to argue with.

I’ve named my belly “Big Chunky”. The enemy has been identified and must be eliminated. Next strategy – portion control. (I’m not at measuring the weight of my food yet.) I’m eating the right stuff as far as I know, but maybe increasing the protein portions wasn’t a good idea. Oddly enough, I continue to see more definition in my upper belly, in my legs and chest and above. Two or three of my evaluation parameters are conflicting. 

Left knee pain – ice today. Done. 
Grilled cheese n tomato – stack good carbs on non workout days?

Did pretty well today. Partied with Keanne at the mansion. Had some falafel a few oz of keg beer, but that was it. Relaxing day.

102812 (Sunday #132) AM – work

Dropped 2 w/i 3 hours… nothing major. This has become the norm.

Almost forgot – squats scheduled today at the Y do to subbing @ Temple Monday. Maybe I can get some lifting in at Temple too, we’ll see. Maybe a lifting day Thursday afternoon as well since there’s no GX at the Y.

In 196!!! Beginnings of a soar throat. 

Wake 196 – where’s the weight. Maybe the legs.
Air squats and shadow boxing to wake up. A hurricane (sandy) is nigh. I’m wondering if I can make it to the Y before it gets bad!

Mango salsa salad, bag of pretzels and pepperoni & cheese & coconut water.
Two days til next measuring day Tuesday night (post GX)

Weather be damned – glad I came!! Posted some good digits!
Max Legs today:

Squats 10 sets x 5 reps ea. 205; 225 (x2) getting good deep push; 245; 255; 275; 300; 315 (x2) 325 (solid & steady). I think I can start at 225 now & go deep. What is the Y is open and it’s not pouring tomorrow? Keeping it deep to about 250.

Chest and shoulders? Maybe add shin & calves?

Leg press/calf press rotation – 3 rounds of 3 rounds. 30 minutes
Single leg extensions – went to 150 struggled but made it… 6 progressive sets of about 5 reps.
Leg Curls – started higher, 210 has gotten easier so I upped my max to 225 (3 reps). Stretch and out- 75 minutes.

I don’t usually start my workout week on Sundays, but maybe I should. Not very many people in the room.

Cr./placebo effect (whichever is at work) 325 lbs squats is not a personal best per se, but it is the first time I’ve repped that much at the end of a session. The 225 leg cur could be the result of either or both. I don’t think I’ve had any clearly outstanding gains with the creatine – but it’s only the first day of week two (maint.) I’m feeling confident. 

Throat’s better, left knee wasn’t sore and didn’t affect the squats. (Still I wrapped it). 

Got a good compliment from a fellow lifter who’s seen me “lean out” over the past 10 years, from when I was chubbier. As I tell folks, ‘others will notice before you do.’ 

102912 (Monday #133) AM – Work – The city and transportation authority have been shut down due to an impending Frankenstorm scenario, by which Hurricane Sandy is supposed to meet up with a Nor’easter that’s supposed to wreak  havoc on Philly. You will note I am at “work” because I am “essential.”

By yesterday’s scale I am 16 pounds heavier than I was at the beginning of the year. I’m heading back to my weight of 2004, which I’ve documented as my strongest year. It was the year before I became a certified personal trainer. I not sure I can “see” the weight… the beneficial weight that is. I have to acknowledge that my thoughts often play tricks on my eyes. Because of my history I associate heaviness with being fat so when I check the mirror I see Big Chunky looking back at me and it clouds my vision. 

Looking back on this journal, I’ve made some strength and endurance gains. I am moving with vigor through GX classes and I’m lifting heavier more consistently. 

However, pants are fitting tighter – some pairs notably in the legs, and I’ll take that, others around the waste, which I am disinclined to accept. This is a first not only in my career as a body builder, but as a person. The last time I gained weight, I #1 wasn’t monitoring it and #2 wasn’t exercising. Plus I know how to drop this weight if it gets out of hand. I’d be slightly annoyed about the time factor, but I’m benefitting from the strength gains. This time around I’m in different condition. So as stated before I’m going to stick with this at least until the end of the year, and see what happens. 


So I'm evolving into the metaphysical
practices and merging them with the body
exercise sciences. Results I can see and
feel. Still in the study phase.
103012 (Tuesday #134) [Hurricane Sandy] It’s measuring day… but I’m at work. We’ll see how far Big Chunky has gotten out of hand.

Chakra Study – wear red [picture] when lifting… wonder if that would help.

Wake 194.5 – No GI activity for a while. Part of a cycle I suppose. Planning home workout upper body – heck the YMCA might be open. Should dedicate some time to the house and measure.

Last measuring day was about 45 days ago.
Solar Plexus – 99cm + 1.5 from last time. Love that!
Middle – 92  -1 cm from last time. Not much but moving in the right direction.
Navel – 94    -2 that’s close to an inch and that’s thick belly fat
Waste – 96.5  -0.5 all I can say is it’s the right direction. 

Those are the regular every 45 days measures. I decided to measure some other spots as well (they were last measured in June of 2012):

Chest  - 104.5 - +3.5cm (that’s more than an inch!!)
Butt – 106          +3.5 maybe THIS is the real reason my pants got tight. Not complaining I need that power for what I do… ha ha
Shoulders – 124  +3.5  proportioned growth

Needless to say I like what the numbers are telling me this time around. I was a bit shocked last time.

On June 19, 2012 I weighed 183.5 today I weigh 194.5. That’s 11 lbs. in 4 months. I still want to carve out the torso (abs) But if I can keep the muscle growing at this pace for even a little bit quicker (maybe 2cms per month on average) I’d be happy with that. Just don’t go backwards!!

Homeworkout: Chest triceps shoulders (dumbbells 40 lbs max) Seemed to look better behind the numbers.

103112 (Wednesday #135) 2AM – Home  194.5 16% 58%

Excited and encouraged by yesterday’s measurements and although the torso numbers shrank only minimally I’m happy they’re going lower instead of higher. The results had an effect on my self perception, I seemed to look more defined. I’m not going to ignore or neglect Big Chunky – it needs to go because it’s blocking everyone’s view of my enlarging abs!!!

Planning to hit the Y today before Temple (back work) – mixed the Beta alanine (B-A) into the cocktail and realized I’m basically mixing my own workout drink. BA has a tingle/burn to it, but it’s supposed to block fatigue, we shall see and I’ll report back. (BTW that “tingle” is annoying. It feels kind of like fire ants biting you. It’s supposed to be harmless.) 

Wake 192 and hungry!!! Steak omelet. – Chillin’

Back work: Top/Middle and biceps

I find the less time I take b/w sets, the less time I need to take. B-A kicked in (skin tingle) about 30-45 minutes into a 50 minute workout. Maybe I should take it more than 30 minutes before. Just before I leave the house. 

So here’s the lineup:
Pull ups – Bent Barbell rev grip rows – barbell shrugs – bent dumbbell flies – behind the back barbell shrugs – hi pull ups on the smith machine – lat pull downs – close grip rev grip pull downs – dumbbell curls. Done in 50 minutes!

Went for a slice of pizza and up to Temple but no one showed for class. Haven’t been keeping track of carb days. I inked a 6 day schedule so the days would change then lost track. Low-L-L-High-Moderate-M (Although I almost never do really high carb days, not purposely. I’ve never loaded.) 

NOVEMBER!!


110112 (Thursday #136) Wake 193.5: Kind of chilly in the house. Is that why I have chills, or something else? Day of rest – no workout or classes. Maybe do something at home, just abs maybe. Got to be strong tomorrow – deadlifts, legs & chest.

Speaking of which, arms feeling delightfully sore from yesterday. Primary muscle work i.e. biceps beats secondary i.e. bent rows – but the combo is priceless.

Chicken thighs, celery, peppers to break the fast. Got to do a Cr. w/o the B-A for maintenance. Still in week 2. Seems like a long week due to the hurricane or was it even a hurricane?

Had a pretty good mid afternoon nap in prep for tonight’s gig. Created “Ab Giant” to do battle with Big Chunky. I actually have large abdominal muscles due to crazy amounts of crunches and such done to prove points – mostly to myself.

I should be 101% for tomorrow. Got to post this weekend too.


110212 (Friday #137) AM – work: Chillin’
Expanding consciousness and trying to quicken my vibrations. Looking forward to going to the Y today.
BIG FRIDAY!!

Came in this morning at 192, a low especially for my first night back to work. Woke at 193! This doesn’t happen – I don’t gain weight when I sleep. Redo… sans the sweat pants, 191. Did the really make that much of a difference or do I need to 86 the scale?

I dreamed of lifting today (I don’t sleep at night). I saw it happening. Now to work the plan, (I omitted numbers b/c I’m superstitious. )

No dreams came true today. I could barely get 365 off the floor and not all the way up. It was a mind thing for sure. Also, I decided I’d go straight into a power deadlift with legs instead of how I usually do it – I warm up with repping Romanians to about 315 – 325 lbs, then switch to singles with more weight (gloves, straps, the whole deal.) Next time I’m going back to the formula. Also, after the first few lifts – just didn’t feel like it and I fizzled… poof!

Still, I got through the session, went back and did some Romanians repping 275 lbs for a couple sets. Then did a series of super sets involving calf raises on the smith – progressing to close to 250 lbs.. and wondering why I’ve been starting with 135 when I can clearly do more, especially on the smith machine – and shin flexes starting with a 55 lb dumbbell and going up to 65. These new kicks (I have a pic from screwing around with my camera) can handle the load. (Shin flexing involves putting a dumbbell between your feet on your toes and contracting the shin area. If the shoe is thin the dumbbell will make your toes very uncomfortable.) 

Did 4 sets of thrusters with very little wt on the bar (30 lbs). Those puppies winded me, then what I call headbanger lunges, which is a lunge squat while ding a triceps press with an EZ curl bar – first time doing it so I didn’t use so much weight. This increases the amount of balance you need beyond that of a normal lunge. As you bend your knees you bend your elbows – as above so below – as you push up you press up. It involves a bit of rhythm and coordination. Too early to eval the benefits yet.

Leg Extensions a couple warm up sets then 3 sets with the whole rack (255) 6 – 8 – 10 reps.

The B-A kicked in earlier than last time, about 15 minutes. So I’ll have to adjust and get my timing right. Maybe I didn’t notice last time b/c I was already lifting. 

Thought I’d do chest today as well … HA HA! I was burnt from the DLs, then the combos. Maybe I’ll come through tomorrow; rare Saturday training.

BCAA’s, honey and pretzel recovery on the spot Maybe start protein again Monday?

Don’t seem to have the problem with my knee joint slipping out – maybe the ligaments or tendons tightened or got stronger. I haven’t fully tested it, but it seems stronger, more stable. 

110312 (Saturday #138) Already!! AM – Work:

This is the last day of Phase X. I’m suddenly tired from yesterday’s training. I’ve become as obsessed with my with lower/back muscles i.e. butt, legs – as I was with chest when I started. That reminds me – now that I’m lifting again I can break out my dumbbells here and work shoulders. Maybe add another inch in the next 45 days? I think the bigger muscles grow, the bigger they can grow, to a point and the stronger they can grow. 

I really need – still – to open and make the hips & groin more flexible. More twisting/stretching as well. That’s what GX is for. 

191 wake up 46` No Bf/H2O reading.

I’m on point for getting to the Y. Figure chest and legs (leg work being different from yesterday … assisted squats, maybe some wall-sits and kicking, ad/abductor perhaps. Priority is chest though; 3rd of the big 3 groups… #1 in vanity.

This chart corresponds to the week i started loading creatine & began
lifting weights again... heavy! Beta alanine was added  towards the end
of this session. As you can see actual weight blue line fluctuated as it
does as a result of food and water, the green line which is trending wt.
stays more stable but is still rising. COMING BIG!! 
Went beastie on ‘em today!! Took the cocktail just before changing, 10-15 minutes it kicked in. Main stations were incline bench press & close grip flat bench: 10 or 11 sets started w/ 135 @ 5 reps;  and added 5 lbs every set until I can only get 1 then break it down the wts and rep out (up to 5, because I was burnt by then.) Maxed at 175. 

Close grip flat – same process, started at 125 lbs, progressed quicker, maxed at 155, no break down. Both cases power kicked in kicked in after the third set. Glad I didn’t stop after the third set. 

Flat DB flies 3 x 10 40 lbs, pretty easy.
Triceps press on  lat machine 3 x 6
Cable cross (upper chest) work. Various positions and grips, low wt.
Hanging twisting ab work.
Biceps cable work (110 lbs) 3 x8
Bench dips – 1 legged.

Otherwise, a wall sit, and a few reps of asst pistols… didn’t really get to the legs.
About 90 minute total.

I keep telling myself – COME BIG!!!!

BCAA’s – Honey – PBH sandwich: recovery. (Still felt pumped afterwards).  This session ends at midnight!!

Protein drink at home, chicken thighs (2), red peppers spinach in olive oil.

ELEVATE Session Eleven!!

No comments:

Post a Comment