Sunday, October 21, 2012

X-ZACT PHASE IX (9) – 100712 – 102012


A "Break" (from weights lifting) Session

Wow!! Starts Now. And six more weeks. 


100712 (Sunday #111) A Good day to start with.

Several pairs of pants I wore effortlessly during the summer have gotten tight. I may have to reluctantly admit that I’ve gotten fat. All my measurements were up around the torso, belly and waist, but at the same time I’m seeing more definition in my lower torso, I’m stronger, have more energy (easier to get through my own classes) and my shoulders have gotten broader, leaner and more defined. I may have to post an inquiry to a body building message board, or I can speculate myself based on what I’ve learned. 

Worst case scenario – despite more heavy lifting and regular cardio workouts and a high protein/low carb diet, I have accumulated more fat. Although I must consider this, I’m still a bit dubious; everything from the mirror to the scale (body fat % is within same parameters as ever) to the science suggests I’m leaner than six weeks ago. 

Best case scenario – I’ve lost some fat, gained more muscle beneath the fat and this is what has caused the circumference of my torso to increase. Looking in the mirror, it seems I am becoming leaner from the top down. I noticed more definition in my neck and in the area of my clavicle especially when I’m working out. Veins are showing up in places I’ve NEVER seen them before. That’s a sign of less fat between the skin and the muscle. 

As for the diet, I’m not strictly dieting, i.e. not writing down every meal and calculating calories. I make high protein meals, fowl, pork, salmon, tuna and such with vegetables, mainly spinach, broccoli at times, squash when in season. Salads over night at work. Fruits, nuts (almonds, cashews) and the occasional sweets in the trail mix (M&Ms and butterscotch chips). Oh yes and my guilty addiction, tea (w/ raw  sugar). I may have to take my own advice and start keeping track of meals and measuring food. I don’t necessarily want to lose weight, I think I can get up to a lean, muscular, solid and healthy 200, while maintaining a 34 inch (well a size 34 pant, loose fit, ha ha) but it might take me longer than the 90 days advertised. 

I also speculate that a portion of my belly fat is due to some unacknowledged stress. I call it Philly stress, because I really want to leave this city. This is another story, but perhaps making my escape a project and writing about it, will spur my success. Hmmmm. 

AM-Work – The purge continued through the last minutes of yesterday. Seemed like it was ending. Probably the Temple of Bajai eliminating the last of the riffraff.

Duck Night – planks and side planks, some squats.

Wake 191 low H2O 2 mile run down the pkwy 25:19 50` and damp. Barely had energy to stretch afterwards. I imagined myself doing yoga.. maybe later. 189.5 after the run, I expected all the cardio I’ve been doing to improve my run, now that I think of it, I wasn’t breathing that heavily. It was moving these heavy legs that slowed me down.

Wake stack Egg white om/avocado, red pepper, red onion, pbella shroom, cheese, tom, spinach.


100812 (Monday #112) AM – Work: already feeling the effects of yesterday’s 2 miler. Legs are tight and will have to be stretched and worked today. I also feel like I’m feeling the planks too. Only did 2 sets on pushup bars – plank – side plank – center – other side, try to hold 10 seconds each.

Trying some leg work, but sore. Asst pistols & lunges.

Wake 189.5 The rest were high I think, two sun salutations, I’m tight. Lower abs work, open heart, leg stretch, seated L pushup, not too substantial.

Morning and bkt stax, no protein drinks during the break. They may be the cause of the increased wt & dimensions, maybe cut bk to 3-4x a wk, see what happens.

I’m feeling off today, maybe the weather. Significantly cooler, body adjustment perhaps.

Tuna salad for bkt, will hv to break out the crock pot soon, stew meat, NO STARCHES.
EZ Aqua, 1 body. No sweat stretch @ home.
Cream filled donut (at work) just b4 midnight.

100912 (Tuesday 113) AM  - Work: Strap work, legs & chest, asst pistols, open chest flies, slight angle. Plank rotation 30 sec. count, this will do some good. 50 air squats w/ pelvic thrust. (Got to remember the thrust)

Wake 189.5 24% 52.5% (my body fat is increasing even on athlete mode UGH!) could be dry feet too. (Stop making excuses).

GX – Stunning session!! Participated up to mat work. Zero for Aqua.
Some stretching at home using yoga blox to increase ROM.


101012 (Wednesday #114) AM – Work:

I think I’m energetic enough to work the legs – maybe some upper bod, straps & planks on p/u bars. Leg stretches – feel a bit stronger from the close pushups, haven’t pulled out the straps, just some air squats, maybe some lunges. Surprisingly not sore from GX yesterday.

Random HR check – 63 BPM – wonder what I’ll do when I wake up. I think I should run Thursday and shop for t-mix fixins.

(Just had an idea to look back one year ago today during the Ruggedness Campaign. Here’s a look)

Here we see the wt. tracking from this week a year ago.
This was the "Ruggedness" campaign during which I was
trying to lose weight and inches. This year the aspiration
is different. Trying to gain weight, strength and inches but
still trying to lose fat and reduce body fat percentage. It's
been a great challenge. 
  ***101011(Monday) Day 114 184.5 16% - I have to admit that I am having a hard time getting myself back into running, I hate when this happens - I preach consistency but when it comes to running I have a tough time practicing it. In any case, in my ruggedness Mind I decided to do everything I've been doing (except tramp) by putting the 20 lb wt vest on..so here goes... 50 air squats 2 sets of 100 calf raises, 20 squats (touch floor raise arms), up and down the step 3x walking..30 regular pushups - then the vest came off, 20 incline diamond pushups (2 sets), - crunches and leg lifts, add dumbbell to crunch, and ankle wts to rev crunch... go into atomic crunches... and (now...) I'm awake... there's still time to run!?! OK so Gutts and Butts mist have been more intense than I'd planned, we did much less cardio and criss crossed between butts and gutts, the group seemed spent after only 35 minutes.. these are college kids!!

Zero at Aqua Box extra free time..Guilty pleasure at Horse. (Asian salmon salad).

Wake 192 23% 53% H2O stretch & ab/core work, maybe some pushups. Aqua Box – time to switch up the routine.

Yoga block pushups, this is how I do them now – maybe get 1-3 reps, ha ha [picture]. Good break week.

101112 (Thursday #115) Wake 190.5: Lazy today – nice out. Thought I would run but didn’t. I got several “to-do’s” done. Worked the core, lower abs, 125 bent knee lifts, 50 straight, extended the back, opened the heart. Got Y-GX this eve. Restocked the veggies, post GX (maybe).

Another strong GX session, did everything except spec forces as usual. Maybe work on films tonight and the to-do list.

101212 (Friday #116) Wake 187.5 Wha?!!?

End of week 1 of break I’m down 4.5 lbs from peak? Just a one day thing I’m sure, like dropping from 180 to 177 or something. It usually comes right back. Got to run errands and hit the Y. Could be due to no protein drinks this week also. We shall see. It was regular protein that seemed to spur the wt gain. 

Purge day – No ACV, Meta or protein all week. Maybe I don’t need as much as I’ve been taking. 

Good Y Session! All body stuff – jumping side to side and front to back over the bosu ball, roll ups, pull ups, jak-squat cris-cross, balance stretch, nice job. Maybe more details later (Really need to make this into a routine and not improve it). 

Jack-squat combo 8 no problem. Missed the plank rotation, yoga block Ls and handstand pushups (Tried a handstand pre-Y-GX and it was hard to get up. Extra wt.?? )

Checked calf, forearm and thighs early AM – last chk was 41912. 
Calves gained 1.5 cm each Makes me wonder if it’s worth it. However there is visibly more muscle so the improvement goes further that the measured increase. 
Forearms actually got smaller by (lf) 2 cm & rt 1 cm. I’m thinking this is fat loss b/c they are much leaner. 
Upper thighs gained slightly, to the same dimensions they were at first measure 30212 both are 61.5 cm
Didn’t bother with biceps, ankles or lower thigh.

If I angle a board will asst pistols work better?

101312 (Saturday #117) AM – Work.
Strap work – pulls and pushes, maybe some plank work. Back to the original strap work, but lesser angles. Nothing strenuous. I keep it easy at work.
Didn’t get to the plank rotation, ended up just recovering from yesterday’s workout and being up all day.

Wake 189.5 but came in at 191. Maybe I made too much of yesterday’s “adjustment.”
Backpack walk to 6-9 for shopping.. slow twitch work.

Very interesting GI events, it’s working very well w/o psyl-husk, fiber supps or apple cider vinegar. (need more of this BTW). My digestion hasn’t been bad, in many many years so this shouldn’t surprise me.

Slice of pizza bbq chicken.
Pork and veggies for dinner, tea, drinking much tea. Goat crock pot coming up – fixins!!

101412 (Sunday #118) AM – Work

Got some asst pistols with straps and a couple of plank rounds… mostly just watched some flicks.

Wake 191.5 70 degrees today… 
normal… better than normal elim. BF is way up, H2O is down, like below 50% which I find pretty hard to believe

Wake stack minus BCAA – gonna save them for post wk/o’s as directed.
Birthday dinner w/ bro & the fellas, fries, nachos, mussels – it’s the weekend.

The body aches (hips) when I’m not moving. Running up the steps has the chest feeling a bit different, like it’s congested, but not manifesting in phlegm or much coughing, a sneeze or two here and there. 

On a long enough time line everyone’s survival rate drops to zero (fight club). I feel sometimes like “life” by which I mean age is catching up with me and maybe I’m trying to stay ahead of it… then as soon as I write this down, I double my resolve. I have several “items” that I need to get done. I’m not going to worry about the weight or the BF% or the belly (which will be tough). The next Phase (X) I get back to lifting hard and heavy and cardio and running whenever I can or feel like it. Changing up the protein supplementation, maybe intro some suitable carbs into the diet. Face stress and do something about it. (But I have to find it first. It’s lurking.) 

101512 (Monday #119) AM _ Work. Mostly I’m doing nutrition and supplement research for my return to heavy lift training. My workouts are pretty much on auto pilot since I’ve been doing them for so long. What I need to plan are my meals. For later today I’m wondering if I can get myself to the park, kbells, ropes & chains, and maybe the camera.

The time went fast… lots to do. I may have to stay away from fruit – back to oatmeal just in time for cold weather.

Wake 191.5 – later 190 even 30% BF 49% H2O ?? Got me wondering.
Rain, no park, but amped for the Y.
*Back to pre-workout oat meal. Tweaking diet and supps.

Rockin workout! Dynamic and exhausting. YMCA park stylin’

3 rounds non stop:
Run in place (60sec): Jump Bench (12x): Jax (60sec): Shadow box w/ turns (16 cts.)

Next:
3 rounds (some breaks)
Air Squats 30 – 20: hi kicks over bench left & rt legs 16-20: Jmping lunges – short stack

Next 2 rounds to failure
Mt Climbers roll pushups 16 – 2nd set failed at 8 pushups… wah!

Atomic crunches
This is how I do push ups now.
This is what I tell myself when I want to do standard push
ups. I figure the more I do these, the better I'll get. My body
will respond as it has with other "tricks" I've learned to do. 
Roll ups (35 secs) – hard getting stable on my feet.
Str8 leg lifts
 Wal sit 65 secs.
Balance stuff – hold 30-60 secs.
Yoga block pushups/hold/balance [see pic]
Plank Rotation 1 time.

101612 (Tuesday #120)AM- Work:
Study & rest. Looks like I’ll have to come clean… admit I’m a body builder and start training and eating like one. And count calories too:

Turkey BLT salad from Wawa –
Fat 16g: – Pro: – 23g Sodium – 800mg (33%) Sat fat: 8g Carb 8g Diet Fiber 3g (12%) Sugars 4g
Calories 260 w/ Blue Cheese Dressing
Fat 24g Sod 320 mg (13%) Carb 2g Pro 1g:
This salad gives me slightly more protein than my morning 20g drink. (1 scoop)

Maybe I can pick this diet and supp regimen up by next week. Kick the ‘tood into gear.

Wake 191.5 Error Message – not enough power to make the connect… super dry. Straight to the loo.
3x before leaving +1… makes me wonder, purge or cycle??
Great GX session.. None for Aqua Box.
Tofu Egg sandwich & tea post workout and BCAAs (4)
Lamb Butt slices with veggies (shrooms, toms, celery, scallions, red peppers n spinach) and guacamole.

101712 (Wednesday #121) AM – Work. Debating whether to exercise more or relax. I didn’t go full force in GX yesterday, spent a bit of time watching and some coaching. At some point this AM I was feeling very amped. I have to do a better job of taking and listing my supps – I kind of take them willy-nilly, to use a scientific term.
Munching on trail mix (papaya, pineapple, pistachios, almonds, yogurt peanuts, cashews, m&ms, butterscotch, sunflower seeds.) Wawa salad – (Stats in book, will probably update later.)

Easing into calorie counting or at least tracking – somewhat:
Wawa Salsa Salad:
Fat – 10grams
Carb – 16g
SatFat – 2.5g
Fiber – 3g
Protein – 21g
Sodium – 610 mg

This is one of the salads I’ve been eating over night at work for months and it’s probably years actually.

Wake 189.5 23% 53.5% - purging again. 2x before bkft. Wake stack

Item: strange vibrations, muscle spasms? Waist/upper pelvic area front.

Lower ab work w/ ankle wts. Bent knee raises and atomic crunches str8 leg raises (no wts.)
Oatmeal for bkft day 3.

Post Aqua Box meal: Hummus sandwich, stick of cheese, carrot cake
Carrot Cake (my guilty pleasure)
Fat - 16.7g
Carbs – 42.37g (Good for hi-carb days)
Protein – 3.9g
Sodium – 147 mg
Fiber .9g

Cheese Stick
Fat – 6g
Sod – 220mg
Carb – 0
Pro – 7g

Hummus Sandwich (7-11)
Fat – 4g
Sod – 345mg
Carb – 56g
Fib – 8g
Sugars – 4g
Pro – 12g

Will do the totals later… maybe.

101812 (Thursday #122) Wake 189.5 E (too dry to compute)

Hi-carb day … so far not hungry and trying to clean house.

GX YMCA-
Wasn’t tip top for YGX today. Maybe I didn’t eat enough? That’s my guess. Hi-carb day. (Staff pretzel day).

Feel kind of low energy today, supposed to be hi carb day but didn’t eat much. Probably not enough. Maybe low food or sick (bug) comin’ after me. Got bread for hi & moderate carb days.

Red lentils and white fish for dinner. Handfulls of cashews and almonds and dried pineapple.

101912 (Friday #123) Wake 189.5  9 hrs sleep: 65`: 25% BF 52.5% H2O

First thing I do when I wake up if open a can of coconut water and take my morning stack. It’s different everyday, but lately it’s included Reveritrol, saw palmetto, some herbal extract for vision – I‘m just using this up, I don’t think it really works and yohimbe bark. 

Peanut butter (chunky, commercial and probably not the purest for me, but I like it) honey, & cinnamon sandwich on Sara Lee wheat bread. Only bread I could find that didn’t have high fructose corn syrup in it besides Arnold’s (they were sold out. I think people are reading the labels, and the word about HFCS is getting out.) Moderate card day – I need to establish what “moderate” is.

Lunch Lamb Butt slices (5g protein per oz.) w/ shrooms, scallion, red bell pepper, bok choy. Break ends Saturday, massage Sunday, legs Monday. This session ends Saturday too.

YMCAnity!! – Had a powerful, exhaustive full body wt. session at the Y today. Looked something like this: The warm ups were taken right out of my classes. 3 rounds 6 exercises 30 – 45 – 60 sec. no breaks (supposedly)

Run in Place
Jumping Jacks
Power Squats
Bottle hops (side jump over water bottle one foot at a time)
Shadow Box (jabs 1 round, upper cuts another)
Front Kicks (then back kicks, then combo front & back)

 I modified this every round and changed the order for a break b/w jumping exercises.

Set 1 – 3 rounds
Roll ups – roll back on a mat and roll up to standing
Air Squats
Shadow Box
Butt Kicks

The roll ups got easier, everything else got harder, breathing became labored, but I made it through, minimal breaks.

Strength Set (2)  3 Rounds
L-Pull ups w/ pull up ‘rings” 4 reps
Wall Sit – 60 – 65 – 85 seconds
Mt Climbers – roll – Pushups (16): Reverse Order (16): 2 sets of 8 each
Bench Kicks – hi-karate kicks over wt bench. 18 inside-out 10 outside in (getting tired here) 8 inside out closer, requires more height from thigh.

Strength & Balance
Yo-blk pushups – getting a bit better balance. Pushups are more like bounce ups at this point.
Assisted pistols – still holding on to a grip as I do these. The balance/strength comes and goes & is not consistent yet. Haven’t tried unassisted in some time. May try some balanced holds first.

Stretches and some practice planges (rev grip)

BCAA’s post workout & Honey shot & plum.

12 oz Salmon & ½ cup brown rice for dinner. It was quite filling – something like 60g protein in the salmon alone. Don’t know how many carbs I had today. If I count the carbs in the coconut water, I’ll probably be high everyday – I should take these with me for recovery.

Here is the weight chart from Phase 9 of this year. Note the familiar
roller coaster pattern, which I don't quite have a scientific answer for.
My best guess is my work schedule, usually on my first night off  I
don't eat dinner, and sleep over night instead of eating at work. This
usually causes a significant drop in weight, which I gain back over the
next several days. (Green line shows trending or average wt. for the past
fortnight. 
102012 (Saturday #124) – am – Work!

This is the last day of the lifting break. It didn’t turn out as I’d imagined it. I ran once, practiced  proper yoga once, however guerrilla yoga during classes and post workout stretch, more frequently.

This was two weeks of a lot of aerobic/cardio – body work that involved classes – jumping workout benches, kicking over same, wall-sits – but I never got to handstand pushups and a few other items on the list. (Problem was I didn’t actually have a list.) 

At some point I felt a bug was after me, I think it hindered my ability to get up the train steps … I could feel the difficulty in breathing increase… worthy of seeing the doc about, I’m due anyway.

Body weight has remained steady around 190 (tempted to average out my wake-up wts but trying not to be TOO anal!) with a crazy drop to 187-ish. I thought it was because I’d stopped having protein drinks. Although weight stays steady BF/H2O numbers are showing a vast difference between sleep and waking .. sometimes my wake up BF is 25%!! With the scale set on ‘athlete” Add 8% pts for a normal guy. Am I really 48 lbs of fat??

My digestion has been very good and regular. What I call purge days, have been natural without any assistance from Apple Cider Vinegar or psyllium husk. Come to think of  it, maybe I was crediting these products for something my GI was doing on its own. Hmmm. 

Technically beginning tomorrow I’ll be easing myself into a more disciplined body building mode. However I’m still responsible for my hi-cardo classes so at least two days a week I’ll be moving and breathing fast. 

Anyway next 6 weeks – heavy combo exercises and large muscle group days. I think I can combine legs and back and back and chest on Monday’s and Fridays with classes Tues – Thurs. Maybe some small muscles at work and/or on weekends. 

I don’t envision getting anything done today and I have a massage scheduled for tomorrow. 

Getting myself psyched and trying to plan meals/supplement cycling strategies.

Wake 191 19.5% 55.5% but dropped to 188.5 18.5% 56.5% - sometimes the scale gets lazy.

I got the idea to get a weight chart from this time last year for comparison (see above). I am considerably heavier, and thicker. I know my torso is thicker as are my legs (thighs & calves). My workouts are different, my classes are more intense and involve moving for 13 – 15 minutes straight before our first break, so I believe my endurance is up as well. 

I jotted down a few numbers today, but didn’t plug them into a formula to calculate calorie intake or anything. Did some lower abs work before heading out. GI is in fine shape. Today was to be a moderate carbs day, however I had not established the criteria for what Moderate is (at the time.)  Climbing those El steps – running up them actually – is still messing with my HR & breathing. I DID put my doc’s digits in my phone. I can do a whole essay on the process it takes for me to get something like a physical done. I work the same, slow,  “procrastonative” way across the board. But what can I say? 

I’m closing this phase now. See you in Phase X (or 10.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment