Wednesday, August 22, 2012

X-ZACT Training Phase 4: 72912 - 81112


Start PHASE VI This phase will be interesting. First measurement day comes around, then I’ll literally be traveling for about three weeks. Let’s say I gain no more than 4 pounds during this phase. I’m not sure how often I’ll get to train. I hope I won’t be over indulging in food. This could be a revealing vacation.

72912 (Sunday #41) Chillin at the job. Not even trying to break out any gear.
PM: Wake up: 184.5 (kind of forgot the rest)
2 part training, inside: staff squats, shoulder pushups, leg stretch & crunches.
Outside: 25 yd suicides, side straddle moves, sciamachy – punches and kick w/ ankle wts. Knee kicks, toy soldiers, back kix, front kick rotation, crescent kix over bench. Rope pulls and squat work, step ups on bench. Didn’t seem that tough but got a good sweat. 30-40 mins outside, dropped 3 b/w wake & work.

73012 (Monday #42) back to suspension training at work – straps n dumbbells, and pushup bars. Shoulder work, mainly lateral delts, supinated pushups, maybe ? a leg or two. Actually did some significant work tonight esp side plank shoulder raises. Mainly shoulder work. (Splats-raises) “SPlatSrs”
Wake: 184.5 18.5 56.5 – Maybe I should make a BF/H2o chart? BF 10-20 (off the scale)
2 mile walk thru woods w/ wt vest (20 lbs) 30 mins. Then calisthenics, squats, pushups, combo 60-60 in 3 sets. Dips, deep squats / support. If I go too deep I lose balance, so deeper squats include improved balance & more flexibility in hip joints & muscle flex in thighs. Home – stretch & obliques.

Squats & push ups with the 20 lb. weight vest.
As close to spec. forces workout as I could get
without dumbbells... 

73112 (Tuesday #43) – Last day for my lil note book. Chillin at work, don’t know if I’ll exercise or not. I should be in the park later today.
Wake: 185.5: 18% 57% 7 Hrs.. No change in wt during sleep, just Body Fat (+3%) & H2O (-2.5%)
Park Training: (Video) 20 mins warm ups included mt. climber, pushup rolls, kickboxing, broncos, battle jax, typical warm up stuff, with some intervals… oh yeah burpees too… ouch!!
Main Event – I really pushed it this time:
12 reps of everything 3 rounds – No time Limit
Bench jumps (sideways) – Incline bench pushups – Kbell Swing – R: rope asst runner squats – Kbell swing-L – rope pull ups 45` - French fries (off bench). Cool down.
I offered everything and it was TAKEN!! Great way to close out the month.
183.5 15.5%: 58.5% post workout

80112 (Wednesday #44) Up early for house work and conspiracy theory documentaries.
Wake 184.5 18% 56.5% 7hrs. 78`
Good day to open the month. GAINS GAINS GAINS!!!
2.5 mile walk to the Y. Chest-Triceps-Shoulder-Legs
Bench Press 3 rep sets, 3 power sets 210 max! (+5 from last week)
Incline Bench rep sets & power sets 165 max!
Decline (Smith, no cable) 155
Seated Mil press 85 lbs. (new to the mix)
Pull over + kick bax super sets. 80/40 3 rounds 8-12 reps
Leg-X (1 legged) 135 & 150 3 sets, reps.
Leg Curls – 150, 180, 195 x 5, 210 x 3 GAINS!! PB.
Triceps push down 3 x 10 120 – 150
Front shoulder raises 1 x 20
Strength is coming, slowly waking up the “back-in-the-day” muscle fibers.

80212 (Thursday #45) Measurement Day. The day has just begun, but I’ve been anxious. Hope I’m not disappointed.
(1 AM 184.5 13.5% 60.5%)
Top: 96 …(0)……. Middle: 91 …(+4)… Navel: 93 …(+2)… Waist 96  (+2) (centimeters)

I measured again and again as if I were trying to MAKE the numbers fit what I wanted them to, but had to deal with the results. All of the numbers are up!! The middle by 4 centimeters, (or more than an inch!!) This is a 45 day interval instead of last year’s 60 day interval. These are small increases, but still I’d expect between the outdoor cardio training and weight lifting I’d have different results. The mirror seems to tell a different more encouraging story. To me, I look leaner, even in the stomach. I have also been pumping iron twice a week for the past 4 or 5 weeks and I am getting measurably stronger so it would stand to reason I’d get a bit thicker and more dense. Can’t say I’m shocked, just a bit surprised. A long break in the norm is coming so we’ll see what happens. Next measurement day is September 13th, around the time Group-X sessions will be starting again.

Wake (184.5 20.5%: 55.5% 6 Hrs) Casein protein before bed.
I managed to have a good break/off day. Just a bit of movement to get me going.

80312 (Friday #46) AM-Work

Studying diet, exercise, the endocrine system, anabolic dieting. Need to pay more attention to properly fueling the body in the next phase. Anabolic diet calls for more red meat in the diet, but I doubt I do much beef; and less carbs well I do minimal carbs already, or so I think, I may have to count calories for a few weeks again to see where I am. 

In between I’m doing some dumbbell work for the upper body. Need to keep side plank shoulder raises on the mind.

Notes Worthy: (from internet sources)

Natural production of testosterone can be increased by big muscle compound moves up & down such as squats & dead lifts. (I’m on point here.) The bigger the muscle the more testosterone is released. I should start every workout with squats or deadlifts to get the hormones flowing. (I believe at some point I was doing exactly this. Every workout started with either squats to dls.)

The body begins to shut down its output of anabolic hormones after 45-60 minutes. Maybe I should shorten my sessions, or move faster, which means shorter breaks. Less conversation.

I’m going to have to customize my own regimen, so far I think I’ve been doing a pretty good job. With a bit more knowledge and discipline I can go further.

The growth hormones, known as the BIG 3: growth hormone, testosterone & insulin.
For anabolic action w/o fat storage you want insulin spikes first thing in the morning (sleep: the mini fast during sleep triggers an anabolic window) and right after your workout (they call these anabolic windows).

Quick carbs (honey) are suggested, maybe protein, OJ w/ molasses at wake up? Let’s see how that works. May have to get more protein. I can try this when I wake up and see how the workout goes later today.
HR Check: 55 BMP 3:45AM.

Wake 184.5 17?? I forgot just that quick. It’s recorded somewhere.

2.5 mile walk to the Y. Went with the plan; had a wake-up protein drink, fruit & nuts & honey pre-workout (will probably switch this up to egg white omelet in the future). Pre-workout stack, will list this at some point.) Kept the heavy part of the session to 60 minutes.

Squats: 2 warm up sets, light wt.: 5 progressively heavy sets up to 300 lbs, reasonably deep, probably half squats towards the end 5 reps: 2 sets of deep squats, 135 & 185 lbs. Got to feel comfortable with the wt on my back and going deep with it. I expect the two will meet around 225 – 250.

Dead lifts (Romanian) 2 medium-heavy sets 2 reps: 5 power sets progress to 280 5 reps, 3 on last set. Funny how I’m squatting more than I’m deadlifting. Guess if I started with the DLs I’d be squatting less.

Barbell Shrugs were strong today went from 225 to 265 and combined with one arm rows (85 lbs) 6 reps each.

Side plank shoulder laterals, 15 & 12 – by this time I was over an hour. I figure I’ll save the easy (non-hormonal) stuff for last. Honey shot right after lifting, quick energy jolt.
1 mile walk home (from Trolley line) Protein recovery mix (2d anabolic window).
Go to fine tune the 80% that is diet/fuel. September is coming…

80412 (Saturday #47) AM Work – just going to recover tonight.
54 BPM HR 6:20 AM work. Ate an apple thought I’d check the HR seems calmer than when I wake up.
HR Targets: 152 = 85% 25 BPM for 10 seconds: - 130 = 65% 21 BPM for 10 seconds.

Scored a double!! Fish and red lentils for dinner. Trail mix & salad at the job + H2O.
Wake 184.5 17% 57.5%
Leo Luau, no work, just food and drink.

80512 (Sunday #48) Came in at 188 lbs 12.5% 61 H2O, of course because I’ve been drinking. Woke up back to normal 184.5 16.5% 58 H2O 7 Hrs sleep 86`. Don’t know if I’ll train today or not. Got a bit to do before I role out.

80612 (Monday #49) 184.5 18% 56 H2O??

Set point as I attempted to LOWER my weight set point, I succeeded in raising it by about two and a half pounds. For a long time my wt stayed around 180 – 182, in the past 5 or 6 weeks it’s been around 184.5 to as high as 188 when I do lots of drinking (not ONLY alcohol)

Normally before bed I’m 186.5, 6-7 hrs sleep later I’m 184.5 and this has been steady even on nights off when I don’t eat dinner. I believe as noted before, this is due to weight training.
I have also been told I look tighter (with which I agree), despite increase in both wt and inches.
I have for the past week (maybe) been starting my day with a scoop of protein w/ molasses, which probably has not been enough time for any significant results.

Today may be my last chance to train (as I have become used to) for about 3 weeks. This will test my physiology. Although I may be lucky or imaginative.

Once the tour’s over I’ll have about 3 weeks until I get back to full-on group fitness sessions. These three weeks will be more short rep heavy weight, large muscle groups, with maintenance (park) cardio in prep for GX.

YMCA – Change Up…
Deep squats + Db toss super sests
Flat bench multi sets of 5-6, progressed to 185, shoulder hurts less on every set.
DB rotation press, flat, fat neutral, hammer flies 3 rounds.
Incline Db press 50 3 x 5s
Seated Military press 2 heavy sets, (25s) 3 medium sets 10s/15s about 60 mins.

LEGS
Leg curls start 165 hi-reps to 210 x 3!! Measurably stronger.
Single leg-x hi-lo no records.

SHOULDERS
Lying shoulder lat raises 15s.
Shoulder pushups 2 sets 8-10.. done in 90 minute. Getting the heavy stuff out of the way in 60.

80712 (Tuesday #50) – Philadelphia, travel day headed to Los Angels. Tour begins today.

80812 (Wednesday #51) Los Angeles – 30-40 minutes (maybe less) Aqua workout, then lounging by he pool.

80912 (Thursday #52) Los Angeles – walking down town hydration melt down today. Didn’t eat enough and certainly didn’t have enough H2O. Broke out into a sweat, I think this is what it feel like when glucose gets low. I always want to stress I’m not diabetic, it’s good to know what this feels like tho. Got a great 15 minute mall massage! Lessons learned the hard way!

81012 (Friday #53) LA Union Station, had to eat at Subway, best option. Not bad but I won’t be making a habit of it. Today’s work out was playing games with Quinn in the back yard. (San Diego)

81112 (Saturday #54) San Diego to Chula Vista – Chillin’ with Seena wondering how long it will take me to get back into my routine. Longest time off, but will allow the body time to reset, recharge, then go hard. No supplements, protein mixes, but getting some good home cooked meals. Soldier walk to Auntie Viv’s anyway from 2 to 3 miles, maybe more in the heat. I had water with me.
END of Phase IV (In the middle of the Tour)

After a crazy peak, I've been steady for about a week. Oddly enough I was trying to lose
and I gained and became steady. Go figure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment