Thursday, September 13, 2012

X-ZACT Phase 6: 82612 - 90812


Phase VI starts now!!

This will be my first full fortnight back in the fitness flow. This phase will not only take me into September but also into the Group Fitness Fall season at Temple U. and the YMCA, so I need to be in top condition if I am going to lead the troops into Xtreme Zombie Apocalypse Combat Training!! I need to get back into jumping those benches, running through the woods and on the track, pumping iron and body lifting, stretching and yoga – Full On Human Machine Conditioning!!

82612 (Sunday #69) AM – I think I’ll do Insanity when I wake up this afternoon. Meanwhile I have the pushup bars out and I have to do low and slow sets of 10+ with different hand positions. I may even break out the straps!!

The pushups got easier the more I did. Rt shoulder is still a bother.

Wake up Insanity, made it to level one drills. Getting stronger during the warm ups and first interval

185 18% 57% 

This is actually maintaining for progress these #s will have to change radically. How would a ten pound drop in wt effect the other #s? If I were 175, I don’t think the scale would show 18% BF. Guess I’ll just have to do it and see…. Or how about this? What would 185 look like with 10% BF and what maybe 65% H2O??? There’s a body fat/hydration relationship built into the way that scale works. Maybe I should buy another one to compare??

82712 (Monday #70) – Woke up after about 5 hours, it was raining, Hurricane Isaac I presume, so I stayed in bed for 4 more. Took psyl-husk before bed … all week in fact. First weight in dropped H2O but no weight. This is noted because it’s unusual. I didn’t have any big meals last night either, which has been good for a 2-3 lb drop, so something different is going on. This isn’t a bad thing, it’s likely due to the new diet which includes at least one protein drink a day, two on lift days.

Will skip Insanity today and focus on lifting & pulling at the Y.

Re-weight let’s see if the results differ. Steady at 185, 18.5% & 56.5%.

Not even home a week yet so I’ll give it more time, monitor and see how long the diet and routines take to kick in…

Measuring Posts:
Body weight.
Body Fat %
H2O%
Look – Fit – Feel.

YMCA
Special Forces 6x – 100 lbs squats.
HR 25 – 30 BPT (ten seconds)
Pull ups/ Shrugs Super sets
Bent Row/ Shin Flew? Bent fly – tri sets
Seated Military press
Single Leg extensions 90 lbs 10-12-15 reps
Stretch….. 60 minutes, + 15 chillin.

82812 (Tuesday #71) Insanity wore me out! I went to the final stretch, with gaps, breaks, modifications. Warm ups and first intervals are getting better. Only the fifth session. It’s a week today since I’ve been back.

184  18%  56.5%

Started with protein & creatine.

Post insanity; almonds, blueberries, yogurt covered raisins, & honey. Water, brewer’s yeast (recovery) banana.

Pork and broccoli for dinner and ACV before bed.

82912 (Wednesday #72) AM – Work
Straps, pull and chilled mostly.

Heavy lifting this afternoon.

Wake 186.5 19.5% 55% - if this is the result of the protein and diet, everything is rising except the H2O.

I woke up dry, and I felt it.

No Insanity today, just lift at the y and run up the el steps. Getting better and more powerful running up the steps.

GOOD STRONG DAY!!

Started with deadlifts (Anabolic window) regular bent knees with wrist straps (thanks Frank): 245 – 275 – 325 lo reps hi-weight final lift one-rep.

Flat bench – warm ups 3x6 135-145-160, felt both strong and confident. Rt shoulder played up for first 3 sets. Power sets: 185 – 205 – 215 – (single and/or double reps)
Knocking on the door to 225*

*in 2008 I injured my right shoulder lifting 225 and haven’t lifted this heavy since. So me, my shoulder and the Duce and a Quarter have history to resolve.

Inclines started lo with 6 rep sets, then switched up to power sets.. maxed at 145 – 155 maybe??

Declines (Smith no cable) steady 6 – 8 reps, 3 sets.

Dumbbell pull overs 75 lbs. 3 sets of 10.

Stretch out, done in 75 minutes. Just in time to head into power/ strength phase. Actually a little earlier than usual, so maybe I’ll get a jump on things.

Had to take a bit of a nap after this session. I probably didn’t eat fast enough.

Still haven’t been back in the pool. This may change after school starts and the weather gets cooler. May have to set another swimming goal, however I REALLY want this season’s goals to involve getting back to my lifting routines. I think I can lift off 10 to 15 lbs (with park, gx and Insanity) workouts every other day. I think this combination can be a winner. Oh yeah the eating also… I will stay hi-protein lo carbs (starches) I’ll still do the fruits and veggies.

83012 (Thursday #73) AM – work
Decided to schedule different gig workouts. Straps one day, dumbbells the next and push up bars, maybe ankle wts another night. On weeks I do five days I’ll rest one. Dumbbells are mostly to get the shoulders stronger. Practically therapy.

This afternoon will be an Insanity day. I actually like it. I’m drenched in twenty minutes or less HR is getting beyond 85% of Max, but it will level out the more I do it. Got to commit to doing his plyo phase til I can do the whole thing, or when I see impressive results.

Oh yeah. Yesterday I calculated what my weight might be today if I had NOT decided to get my ass into condition.

In 1987 I weighed 167 lbs. In 1996 I weighed 225. Let’s call it ten years at 5 lbs a year to make the math easy. I started training in ’96 and went into the Y around 1997 and started lifting. Slowly – VERY SLOWLY – I stopped eating fried chicken and fries, buffalo wings and fries and drinking lots of beer. If I had kept my lifestyle the way it was, I could have realistically added another 50 lbs by 2007, putting me at 275, and all the issues that go along with carrying around that much weight on my almost six foot frame. It’s not completely unrealistic to imagine myself at 300+, diabetic, arthritic, smelly and making excuses. 

I was feeling a bit under accomplished because I wasn’t making the kind of progress I’d imagined I should be making. So I decided to envision myself had I not followed this path. I have several friends who continued with their lifestyles; they are pushing 300 lbs if not passed it. I also have friends who’ve followed the fitness and nutrition path, and are in good, if not ideal condition and better health than they were in a decade ago. 

Part of this health and fitness thing is keeping your mind, thoughts and impressions healthy also. Sometimes if we feel our efforts aren’t being rewarded we may be tempted to give up. There are no angels on my shoulders… just two devils, two fat, sloppy ugly devils – Me, if I ever stop training. 

Came in at 188 after waking up, Insanity etc the numbers were 186.5 17.5% (body fat) 56.5% or close (H2O).

Went all the way through Insanity plyo with breaks during the second half and modifications. I forced it today. Slept longer than usual and was sore from yesterday’s workout(s). Also had a slight headache. Protein & creatine at wake.

Quick look at heart rates during plyo sessions. (HR is taken at breaks)

(8-24): 22: 27: 26: max=162 BPM – over 85%
(8-26): 25: 30: max = 180 BPM –
(8-28): 27: 28: 30: 27): max 180 BPM
(8-30): 26: 28: 26: 23: average was 162, peak was 168 so either the HR dropped (= heart becoming stronger) or I was slacking on this day. I went further today than the others, but I felt slower. Some days are slower.

83112 (Friday #74) Work – EZ pushups, shoulder’s (rt) sore. Got a purge going. It may be a regular thing or a transitional thing. Keep consistent. Power leg training this afternoon.
August 31, 2012 Day #74. I added Insanity Plyo to my
regimen of heavy lifting, cross-fit style outdoor training
and daily protein shake supplements. Upper body only
tells part of the story. I am more brutal on my legs and feel
that's where most of the muscle growth is. 

Somehow I didn’t record my wake up weight… oh well, it’s charted somewhere.

Maximum Legs turned into mini-max, no extensions or curls, but no matter:
Squats: 5 reps 7 sets maxed 300 – lighter weight deeper squats, working on going deeper and heavier.
Barbell calf rises 205 3 x 10
Smith Leg Press – More Range of Motion & stronger, went beyond capacity 8 45 lb plates + 2 35s
Inverted calf press – 300 – 400
Shin flex – 35 lbs – 3 sets high reps
50 Minutes

Ready to credit Insanity for these results, or diet or all of the above.
Legs feel super strong. Maybe finish up with leg lifts at home.

SEPTEMBER!!!


90112 (Saturday #75) AM Work – The word is purge! Or body cleanse. It wasn’t planned but a diet of meat, fish, chicken, protein shakes, fruits, nuts and veggies over the past week will have an effect. This is not the weekend pig out.

I like sevens, so here are seven ways I monitor my health-fitness-physique

#1. Weight – call me obsessed but I’ve been weighing myself daily for the last several years. I consider this collecting data. Could be valuable in the future. 
#2. Strength – pretty self explanatory. I record my max lifts; squats, deadlifts, bench press, in that order.
#3. Look – Mirror and photos. Sometimes the two don’t agree.
#4. Endurance – cardio, classes, park, cross fit, and plain running. (This is low.) 
#5. Fit – clothes
#6. Heart Rate – I periodically measure my “resting” HR and of course when I am interval training. The lower the better. (means my heart is pumping strong.)
#7. Measurements – This is relatively new, since last year. This keeps me honest and sometimes frustrates me. It’s certainly a motivator.

Wake Up: 186.5 16.5% 5-something H2O
Park work Kicked my ass!!
Here’s the deal: cardio warm ups, combo kickbox, calisthenics, movement, stretches (realizing improvement here)…. Then
Cross Fit style 3 rounds
Bench jumps – 12 – 8; run/sprint (usually jog or walk really)
Push off squats (may need a pic for this) with ropes – 20 -16
Decline pushups (off bench) 20 – 12
Body pulls (with ropes) 16 – 12
Crunches (flat) 50 – 40

The further I advance the smaller but more significant the results seem. HR was around the same as Insanity, my endurance is up, but it doesn’t feel like it. (I may need to bring a stop watch with me to the park) I notice better balance in certain areas and more definition. Did 4 sets (each leg) of assisted pistols. That set the HR up.

What I must start doing is having planned recovery meals. My energy drops when I get back and I end up taking a nap instead of eating. Probably should have a recovery shake ready.


Came in from work 188 14.5% 59.5 – this is significant because body fat and H2O numbers have been associated with lower weight. Leads me to believe in muscle growth.

90212 (Sunday #76) – 186.5

I’m holding the weight even though I didn’t have dinner last night – a first night off tradition – and a pretty extreme cardio workout in the park. Water and food weight fluctuate, muscle doesn’t, as much, right?? It’s very probable that the combination of diet, lifting heavy & cardio is producing the desired effects; increase muscle, decrease fat. When weight is up 3-4 lbs & body fat stays steady, that’s a good sign.

90312 (Monday #77) 186.5

Solid brunch at Darling’s w/ Bennie. May do some work today… Later.

I thought this would be a break day – but got up and did Insanity to the end of the first stretch then went into my own thing, leg rotations with ankle weights.
Lying 36 & standing 30 reps each leg/each exercise

Spicy (jerk) chicken breast, spinach, p-‘shrooms & cheese for dinner. Sweating out now!

Just the first bit of Insanity has me dripping sweat and HR up to 162 BPM (still below 99%)

90412 (Tuesday #78) AM – Work

I feel fat!

I figure if I write it down I’ll conquer it. Probably still making adjustments. I wonder if the ab muscles are getting thicker or is it the fat layer?? 

This week proper Meta after work/before bed, The knock off works better I think.

Going to hit the Y today – Last Tuesday I’ll be able to do this. I’m thinking Special Forces 8 with 100 lbs if I can get the rack. I’m going for 20s again. I kind of like the sweating, the drenching, dripping sweat, with all the cardio & meat fruits and veggies how can I be fat!?!

Measurement day comes in about 10 days… we shall see. Honestly I’m not optimistic, but that could change.

Wake 188 19% 56% - Rain – didn’t want to get up. YMCA!

The 8s didn’t work out, instead started with squats heavy 5x5s (actually 4 sets)
225 – 245 – 275 – 315 (getting stronger and more powerful) didn’t go too deep.

Benched flat – warm ups then power: Maxed a single 225 rep!! First time in four years. This was a victory. Let’s stay here for a while, even a month if it comes to that.
Keep the lifting to strength/power stuff, work cardio on GX days & weekends. Keeping the eating, protein fat high & fruits & veggies – few grains – just eating out, rare cheat days. I don’t think my body craves carbs (breads & such) anymore. Haven’t eaten them for so long, they are just like treats now.

If I have to choose between strength/power and a fat belly, guess I’ll take the strength. I’m not going to sculpt a six pack at the expense of strength, that doesn’t make sense to me. I’m no fitness model. 

90512 (Wednesday #79) AM Work

Strap work, wide chest and assisted pistols. Figure I’ll work 2-3 moves at a time. Maybe week to week.

Another cleanse process. I haven’t counted the days. Maybe the Meta is kicking in. No stomach pains of any kind.

Wake 187 (I swear there were some days I recorded a 188 on the chart)

My shoulders feel thicker in this t-shirt, but my belly seems flabbier. Maybe I’m paranoid. It’s just been two weeks. Maybe things will change by week six. (I’d better plan what I’m going to do that week. GX I’m sure, but I should probably schedule some yoga.) Have to remember to stay on track. I don’t crave bread, rice, potatoes, etc. … although I did have taters & toast w/ my omelet on Monday. I’m not counting calories, but this could change. 

Insanity plyo kicked my ass!! Still haven’t gotten past level 1 drills, but I keep tryin.
My recovery time from current Insanity plyo sessions is close to 3 hours. Dinner was white fish & tomatoes.

90612 (Thursday #80) AM Work

Strap work opening chest and assisted pistols… pistols are paying off,  just need more confidence to go without support.

Wake up 186.5 19% 56%

Low hydration or more fat? That’s the question. 3 weeks into this phase since getting back from Quebec. Is this weight drop from the body adjustment phase?

May just do a break & house work day (watch ancient aliens) I want a strong pull day Friday.



90712 (Friday #81) I’ve noticed, both in writing and reading over these posts, that there is more philosophy and self examination (highlighted in yellow) this year and possibly – if you can believe it – less about the workouts and techniques themselves. I’ve further noticed within the plethora of fitness and exercise science “information” I receive, that every 90 to 180 days, perhaps even less there’s an article announcing that “everything you know about” exercise, diet, supplements, vitamins, etc., “is wrong.” I recently skimmed a column that suggested eating carbs after sundown is a GOOD eating strategy, and it went on to support the position. 

It’s frustrating if you’re someone trying to get your food intake right; it’s downright infuriating when you’re a trainer or nutrition consultant and you have to keep going back to your clients with conflicting information. The conspiracy theorist in me believes the food industry is up to no good and has infiltrated the fitness industry and is manipulating the information. 

Currently I’m in the third week of my comeback strategy; a high protein (pork, chicken, fish, & shakes), fresh (and dried) fruit & veggies and nuts diet (little or no grain carbs) with a combination of high intensity plyometric interval training indoors and out and two to three days a week of weight lifting. You’ll be able to see the weight results when I upload the chart and the visual results via the pix. 

The first 25 pounds I lost actually took less than the 5 years I thought it did – turns out I did it in about 3 years; the point is that loss was the result of primarily weight lifting and a bit more cardio activity such as walking to public transportation rather than driving to work. The aerobic activity and better nutrition came years later. The way I figure it, today – a combination of weight training, high intensity cardio and better eating will get me the results I want. 

If you’re following this, I hope it helps you. I think I’ve been very honest with the results I get versus the results I get. I should probably at some point list the supplements/vitamins I take. I take a lot – I consider myself a vitamin junkie, but I think I’ll save this for another post. 

OK – this being updated; 3 things to work on this AM; Assisted pistols + shoulders; reverse grip pushups, elevated, and open chest flies (straps). As advertised.

Sore throat coming. Change in weather?? Shit!!

Wake up 188.5 18.5% 56.5% Haven’t been this weight in a long time. I am looking for greater muscle definition in he mirror – not seeing it. Wakey – protein/creatine. I didn’t wake up with urgency and excitement.

Pull Day at the YMCA COMPLETE!! – Low energy day, it wasn’t just me. Wondering what the combination is… nutritional? Astrological, bio-rhythmical? Something to do with the sore throat? I just want to sleep!

Anyway:
Str8 legged deadlifts 4 sets no records, with various ab work in between
Shrugs front and back
Str8 legged pull ups 3 sets maxed at 8 reps.
Seated rows 2 sets of 10
Stretch. 45 mins total.

Recovery – honey, protein drink. Salmon & lentils for dinner. Did end up taking a nap. Maybe I should not have taken Thursday off??


90812 (Saturday #82) AM – Work: Last Day of Phase VI!!
Thought maybe I’d work shoulders today. Maybe it will happen. This should be a high carb weekend. Let’s see what the body does. I am 1.5 lbs away from 190 and this was supposed to be a diet that would cut fat and build muscle. Stay with it. Evaluate at week 6!

Got some Am shoulder work in with the dumbbells!!
Wake: 188.5  Slept 8 hrs – went home and turned off the alarm. It was a good day to sleep in. bad day for park training. It rained. Woke up, chilled a while. Forced myself to take a break then went dancing with #1 dance partner Jackie. (Shakedown) Danced into a sweat and that counted!! I look a bit more cut now. Looking for improvement in the torso, you know… BELLY!!!


You can see how dramatically my weight has increased, and has plateaued
then back into a roller coaster pattern. I've gained 8.5 lbs since I started the
"year" (June 19, 2012). 

No comments:

Post a Comment